Per Vices's Noctar

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
We are looking for partners to help us drive the evolution of our technology

....aka "suckers". Very light on detail and far to heavy on dreams. Lots of "We intend", "With the right partners", "We envision".

Last edited:

pervices

Per Vice's Noctar

Hi all,

I noticed some chat about Noctar and I wanted to provide a little bit of information. We recently received the cards (Noctar) back from manufacturing and are conducting the final QA...all looking well and we will be shipping out over the weekend. This has resulted in us being delayed in providing all the information (and pictures) we want to. In the very near future we are going to be releasing:
- firmware
- drivers
- complete user manual with a section dedicated to setting up Noctar and how to interface with gnuradio
- a brief on how SDR works
- a brief on how our board was made
- and a picture of the card itself...just need to get a good camera ;)

Since we are a startup company our time and resources have been dedicated to making the product...and doing our best to reduce the costs associated with SDR.

We are gathering feedback from customers and will be sharing that soon too!!

If you have any questions that you need answered, please do not hesitate to contact us :)

Laura

mancow

Database Admin
So what exactly does it do?

"It lets you send up to 250MHz of bandwidth from 100kHz up to 4GHz."

Send how? Send to the pc in the form of I/Q data or send out the device in the form of RF?

pervices

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know that we are slowly getting permission from our customers to release their names. Unfortunately due to the nature of the device and the applications it is capable of, we would prefer to release names of company's only after we get permission. I will be sure to post when I can :)

As for the question regarding sending...it is both send and receive (a complete transceiver). Since Noctar has independent RF chains for receive and transmit, we have different capabilities on each. We are able to receive 200MHz of bandwidth and send 250MHz of bandwidth. We set up Noctar to interface with gnuradio since it is the most popular in this field.

As always, feel free to ask any other questions and we would be more than happy to answer them for you :)

majoco

Stirrer
We are able to receive 200MHz of bandwidth and send 250MHz of bandwidth.

I'm sure other users of the spectrum will be very glad to hear your signals interfering with their legitimate licensed communications. Even if you intend using 'spread spectrum' methods, the chances of getting FCC approvals seem pretty slim.

mancow

Database Admin
Why so harsh? Obviously that kind of test is done with lab equipment.

Sounds neat please keep us updated.

pervices

Hi all,

No worries with the questions and comments. It is great to hear what people think about this. We shipped out today and will be updating the site in the next couple of days. We are selling Noctar as test and measurement equipment and as a low powered device which should cover any concerns you may have about interference but thanks for bringing it up :)

All the best this holiday season!

pervices

Oh and I wanted to let you know that we recently uploaded a picture of Noctar (picture taken of the physical card!)

Noctar

pervices

Ah yes, the main image is in fact computer generated, however under the additional images, you will find the pictures I was referring to.

I wanted to let everyone know that the documentation and drivers are now available on our website. We will soon be releasing the firmware as well!

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Very interesting, but the devices are sold without a warranty or any sort of guarantee. If I'm going to spend $850 on a unproven device, I want a one year warranty to stand behind the product.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I know this must sound trivial, but I just can't wrap my head around the name!! Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me?

Thanks,
John

pervices

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. To address the point brought up by jsncrso, with regards to the warranty, realistically, if you have a problem, talk to us, and we'll see if we can work something out. We do test all products prior to shipping - if you receive the box and it is clearly damaged, we would ask that you refuse shipment in which case we will send another unit once we receive confirmation that the unit was not delivered due to damages.

Oh...and to answer the question about the name:
Per Vices - latin for "taking next steps" which is what we are aiming to do in the world of wireless :)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. To address the point brought up by jsncrso, with regards to the warranty, realistically, if you have a problem, talk to us, and we'll see if we can work something out. We do test all products prior to shipping - if you receive the box and it is clearly damaged, we would ask that you refuse shipment in which case we will send another unit once we receive confirmation that the unit was not delivered due to damages.

I don't think that kind of warranty will fly with most.. Especially for the price of the hardware.. I was watching this thread with interest, but now, hearing this, I'm out..

pervices

Dear Gene,

We completely understand your concern and appreciate your honesty. We discussed internally what we could reasonably provide regarding warranty, and we have updated our policy to repair/replace any unit which may have manufacturing defects that are conveyed to us and product returned within 30 days of the time of purchase.

I sincerely hope this helps everyone. If there are any other general questions, please do not hesitate to contact us or post here as we are very pleased to be working with such a great audience.

mancow

Database Admin
Perhaps I'm missing something but I have to ask about the name. Who/what is pervice and their noctar? It sounds like a mixed drink.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I'm missing something but I have to ask about the name. Who/what is pervice and their noctar? It sounds like a mixed drink.
Read post #16 in this thread..

And no, it doesn't help Pervices.. Any company that has to "discuss" how to handle warranty this late in the product introduction cycle isn't for me.

I have visions of 2 guys sitting down over beers saying.. "Gee we didn't think of that, what do you think we should do?"

I wish your company well, and hope I'm famously wrong on my assumptions..

Status
Not open for further replies.