Personal Scanning Histories - How did you get into it and what was 'your first'?

georgebill

Premium Subscriber
0FB99BA9-B1CC-48A3-BDD3-C883FE8EC9C0.jpegMy first scanner was a Channel Master 10-channel model that I purchased as a teenager while I still lived with my parents. When I brought it home, my Dad was very angry that I would spend such a large amount of money on a “fancy radio”. It didn’t take long for him to become hooked to listening to it. In fact, he bought his own soon afterwards.

The Channel Master had great reception and scanned at a fast pace. However, I discovered quickly that it had a flaw that I just couldn’t live with. It had a 3-second scan delay that couldn’t be turned off. Many of the LE services did cross-talk over two different frequencies. So I found I was missing big chunks of conversations while the scanner didn’t scan for those 3-seconds.
42EC80FC-E04D-4380-8A5F-1C80D83A6FB6.jpeg
I traded it to a friend, plus some cash, for a Robyn 8+8 hi/low scanner. That was the best crystal scanner I ever owned.

I now own two BCD996XT’S, a BCD996P2 and just purchased an SDS200. The SDS200 made me swallow hard when I spent the dollars necessary to purchase it, but now I have no regrets. It is by far the best scanner I’ve ever owned.

JamesWest

AM/FM/SW radio my dad bought for me in 1963 when I was eight years old. He brought it home after being stationed in Korea.

Then I made a "fox hole radio" in the cub scouts. worked really well.

Then I saved up my money for a Radio Shack Realistic Patrolman Pro-1. Single band VHF manual tune with two crystals. I bought that when I was 14 years old in 1969. Then I bought a Pro-2.

Decades later and countless tens of thousands of dollars spent on so many radios I really can't remember them all, I am sitting in a room full of SDR's and computers monitoring my life away. 555

Attachments

• realistic_patrolman_pro_2_vhf_1360654.jpg
    realistic_patrolman_pro_2_vhf_1360654.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 27

georgebill

Premium Subscriber
View attachment 111232My first scanner was a Channel Master 10-channel model that I purchased as a teenager while I still lived with my parents. When I brought it home, my Dad was very angry that I would spend such a large amount of money on a “fancy radio”. It didn’t take long for him to become hooked to listening to it. In fact, he bought his own soon afterwards.

The Channel Master had great reception and scanned at a fast pace. However, I discovered quickly that it had a flaw that I just couldn’t live with. It had a 3-second scan delay that couldn’t be turned off. Many of the LE services did cross-talk over two different frequencies. So I found I was missing big chunks of conversations while the scanner didn’t scan for those 3-seconds.
View attachment 111233
I traded it to a friend, plus some cash, for a Robyn 8+8 hi/low scanner. That was the best crystal scanner I ever owned.

I now own two BCD996XT’S, a BCD996P2 and just purchased an SDS200. The SDS200 made me swallow hard when I spent the dollars necessary to purchase it, but now I have no regrets. It is by far the best scanner I’ve ever owned.
Forgot to mention how I became interested in scanning. In 1975 I completed my EMT training and began volunteering with the local ambulance service. That’s where I was first exposed to scanners. The combination of my inner geek and the exciting conversations I heard had me hooked in no time. First scanner purchased in 1976.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Started Christmas Day 1972 with a Regency Monitoradio (tube type), followed by the Lafayette pictured and first crystal scanner was the Pearce-Simpson 8 channel scanner.
That Lafayette radio was almost surely made by Lloyd's, they sold similar radios at RS too. I've seen the one I had with the brand names of Lloyd's, Philco, Realistic, and a few others. The only difference was the leather color on the back and the names/Model #
Nice one on Ebay now:

Lloyds Solid State Five Band Radio 9N57B-37A AM, VHF Lo, VHF High, FM and SW | eBay
Batteries leaked sometime back, new holder so it should be fine.

I had one of these too, made by Lloyd's but it had some weird name on it. I can't remember what it was, but it looked exactly like this one:
Not a great

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I got into radio around the 6th grade. My friend's father was an engineer for a timber company and had a Chevy Celebrity wagon with a CB, Midland lowband radio, 800mhz EF Johnson duplex radio phone and a Uniden BC-760xlt. We'd spend hours listening to local police and other users out in the driveway. He lived on a high hill, so we could hear everything in the surrounding valley.

When his father picked up a new Ford Explorer, he let us have the scanner. My friend wasn't as radio crazy as I was, so he let me borrow it for weeks at a time.

Local PD and sheriff were analog UHF conventional. Fire was all VHF simplex remote base, which was a PITA to listen to. I discovered a few years later that the FD used UHF links to carry the voted audio back, so during structure fires I'd tune into the 453.xxx/458.xxx link frequencies. The 2175hz idle tone was annoying, but it was the only way to monitor fireground audio from a distance.

There was a weekly ham swapmeet bulletin board which was announced on a local repeater. One day the gentleman advertised hundreds of complete Motorola Mitrek radios for $20/each. My dad drove us out to the radio shop and we bought a couple. The seller installed some MURS channel elements into the radios as a nice bonus. We set em up as base stations at our homes and would chat back and forth.

I wanted a portable radio, so I mowed lawns for months and saved up. Picked up a pair of Radio Shack PRS-102s, which were rebadged Motorola Handi-Com GMRS radios. I also bought the optional CTCSS boards, spring belt clips, Radius speaker mics and stubby antennas. Several businesses in town had grandfathered use of some GMRS frequencies, and one even had a phone patch on it. Made for interesting listening.

One of the radios was stolen a year later, so I rode my bike to a local radio shop and asked what they had for sale. Ended up with a cheap pair of Kenwood TK-340s, which were a massive improvement. They had 16 channels, scan and FPP! You had to remove a decal on the rear and short out two pins while you powered on the radio, and you could program channels using the rotary encoder. Still have the 340s to this day.

There was an odd frequency of 462.900 with a long 10-tone sequence every 30 seconds. We started monitoring it regularly and discovered people would call in and leave messages. We'd hear 2-tone, 5/6 tone, POCSAG, and DTMF signaling followed by voice messages. The messages would repeat, but the signal was half as strong. They'd repeat a third time, but it was usually too weak to copy.

Someone called in once and mentioned the number they'd called - naturally our curiosity got the better of us and we ended up mapping out all the numbers on that prefix which connected to the voice paging system. One number sent both 5/6-tone and DTMF so it was easier to hear, so we'd call that and leave messages for each other. Eventually the "owner" of that number called his own number and left a message. "I think your kids have the wrong number, or you have a duplicate pager. We then figured out it was a voice paging system, and stopped using it to page eachother.

Years later I was telling this story to the father of a girl I was dating. Turns out it was HIS number. He was dying of laughter. The reason for 5/6 and DTMF was 5/6 went to his pager and DTMF triggered the horn/lights relay on his work truck, so it would play the message over a PA speaker while he was working on a tower. The reason for the weak 2nd and 3rd transmissions was additional transmitters located in two different valleys. You can hear bits of that 10-tone sequence @ 8:29 in the recording below

The local police used Kenwood TK-330 handhelds with DTMF post signaling and Motorola Spectra mobiles. They had one transmit site with a few voting receivers scattered around town. Apparently they'd turned reverse burst off a the squelch crashes were pretty loud.

The sheriff (extra loud PL on the recording below) used Motorola Saber 3s and Spectras. Surprisingly, the sheriff dispatchers had no wireline/console priority to the repeaters. They dispatched via control stations hooked up to consoles and had an odd 2-tone keying sequence (not to be confused with the regular console tones you hear in the video below.)

PRS-102
ppw50.png

Digitalbill1

Premium Subscriber
My first radio was a hearkit about 1967 manual tuning dial low band as emergency services where still using system. Then I went over ro Bearcat II crystal Controlled scanner one running fire exclusively other one police etc.

GraniteScanner

Radio Nerd
Premium Subscriber
I got started in about 2011 when I was given a Uniden Bearcat 100XL. I only listened to airband on a few memorized frequencies. Years later I was given a bunch of old UHF business band radio gear when my old school moved to VHF for the sake of interoperability, I re-programed them for GMRS (yes, I know this is not FCC compliant) and then I just kept learning more and more about how this equipment and radio in general worked. This year I purchased a Uniden BC125AT, an RTL-SDR, and a Uniden BC796D and have had a blast listening to and discovering all sorts of frequencies.

nsrailfan6130

My first foray into the scanner world was in the form of a RS Patrolman Pro-55 radio in 1987. in 1990 I bought a Pro-82 which I still have to this day. back when the now discontinued PSR-500 came out, that was my next to last handheld radio and now I have the TRX-2 base mobile scanner.

GregOH

Just got into scanning within the past decade. My father-in-law has been into it for years and when his county went digital, my wife and I had to get him a scanner for father's day that would work for him. Once we got him one, he gave me his old pro-51 and pro-135 which I still use today for Ham and weather alerts. I also figured with the way society has become, owning a digital may be a good thing, so I sold off a bunch of extra hifi gear and speakers and purchased an SDS100.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
My introduction to radio was via shortwave listening in the late 70s. My family went to visit an aunt and uncle who were celebrating their 50th anniversary. As a 13 year old kid bored to death, I went "exploring" around the house we were at, and came across a Halicrafters short wave radio receiver in the basement. Intrigued, I asked my uncle if I could "play with it," he said yes and we strung a makeshift wire antenna out a basement window and up along the house. If I remember correctly, I spent most of the remainder of the day down there, having the time of my life listening to all the different countries I was able to pull in. When it came time to leave, my uncle said I could take the radio with me. I thought I had died and gone heaven. LOL!! The radio was old to begin with (my uncle couldn't remember how long he had had it), but it provided me with many years of listening enjoyment until it died in the early to mid 80's.

I got into scanner radios while in the Air Force in the mid 80s. A friend had a four channel, crystal scanner, and hearing just four channels got me hooked. My first scanner was a 20 channel Regency MX4200 scanner. I would go and park at a park across the highway from BWI airport and listen to the pilots talk to the tower upon approach. I would also listen to fast food restaurants' drive thru frequencies.

I've always owned at least one scanner since 1987, with sometimes having more than a dozen in my possession at any given time. My current stable consists of "just" six scanners. :)

LEE69

20+ years ago I had a Yupiteru 9000, I sold it not long after, as maybe back then the money was needed.
Today I bought a Yupiteru 9000Mk11
Time to re-learn :)
Not even sure what I can even receive, any pointers will be welcomed

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
My uncle Jack was a Lake County Reserve Deputy back in 1976 (I was a junior in HS and into CB at the time), and he came over one day with his scanner. He let me use it for a couple weeks and I was hooked. I later found a PRO-4 xtal scanner at a garage sale for $10; perfect! Back then, 4 channels were all that was needed to cover LCSO, Libertyville PD, FD, and NOAA weather. Fortunately, those frequencies were exactly what my first college town (Monmouth, IL) used. I used that scanner for eight years before I bought a Bearcat 100XLT (wow, 16 channels and programmable!). I've had nine other scanners since then, now with a TRX-1, and soon (I hope) a P25RX-II.

scannersnstuff

I know I have answered the same question before, but...here goes. Got into radio monitoring somewhere around 1975. My brother and I both had tuneable receiver's. A real pita because you would have to listen for a transmition, and set it. It would then"drift" off frequency. I had a couple of friends on the local ambulance squad, with similar interests. The one kid built his own Lafyette scanner. When I joined the rescue squad, I bought my first scanner. It was a Bearcat <not yet Uniden> 4-6 handheld. I fell in love with scanning. Thru the years I have owned perhaps a hundred plus scanners,cb's,ham,pager's,2 way's etc. I eventually ended up as a career police communication's operator. I retired,and moved from Nj to Fla. , There is squat to listen to here. I mostly listen to my local fire, and airport. I have lost and regained my radio interest quite a few time's. My current favorite scanner's are on my signature line. I used to go on this website about 10 time's a day. Now maybe once a week.

scannersnstuff

I know I have answered the same question before, but...here goes. Got into radio monitoring somewhere around 1975. My brother and I both had tuneable receiver's. A real pita because you would have to listen for a transmition, and set it. It would then"drift" off frequency. I had a couple of friends on the local ambulance squad, with similar interests. The one kid built his own Lafyette scanner. When I joined the rescue squad, I bought my first scanner. It was a Bearcat <not yet Uniden> 4-6 handheld. I fell in love with scanning. Thru the years I have owned perhaps a hundred plus scanners,cb's,ham,pager's,2 way's etc. I eventually ended up as a career police communication's operator. I retired,and moved from Nj to Fla. , There is squat to listen to here. I mostly listen to my local fire, and airport. I have lost and regained my radio interest quite a few time's. My current favorite scanner's are on my signature line. I used to go on this website about 10 time's a day. Now maybe once a week.
Part 2 - I would have really liked a sds100, but at this point, I can't see dropping the buck's. My county is already talking p25 "E" .

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The brother of a good friend of mine was a ham radio operator and encouraged me to pick up a "Patrolman" radio. It was tunable and subject to a lot of noise due to the width of the signal that would be picked up at any one time, maybe a MHz or more. The squealing was very bothersome. This was in L.A. where I grew up and given the amount of traffic on VHF high at the time (1969) it was fairly constant. Then I took the big jump and bought a Regency TMR-8 crystal scanner. Crystals cost about $5 each and were difficult to change out. The radio covered only VHF-High, so I couldn't get the L.A. Fire Department as they had low band and UHF frequencies at the time and I could not get the CHP on low band. The frequencies I chose were those in the local area, the west side of the L.A. basin. I didn't try to listen to any of the federal fire frequencies as the radio could only receive about a 5 MHz range of frequencies.

I went off to college in another state in 1972 and could not afford to buy new crystals, plus I didn't have time to listen. I kept the Regency in the car and did not bring it inside at any time. I was in a tough program in school and needed to focus on it. I picked up other locations with some of the LAPD crystals I had in the radio, but this was all by chance. There wasn't a nationwide frequency directory to look this stuff up until Gene Hughes expanded his Southern California Police Call in 1974. I began to work in the summers for the U.S. Forest Service and was in my 3rd season in 1975, just after I graduated. The radio tech for the forest I was on returned my Regency for about 170 MHz. I kept it plugged in at home and bought all the frequencies for the USFS I could hear, 3 forests, the Coconino, the Kaibab and the Prescott, plus "Air Net" (now National Air Guard) and Crew Net (now NIFC Tac 2). I was able to pick up the local PD and FD even though they were 15 MHz lower in frequency, but the repeaters were close to town. I could not pick up anything on low band as I could not afford a new crystal scanner with those bands. Lots of low band was in use at the time where I lived. The Bearcat 210 came out in 1976, but I could not justify buying it considering I was a newlywed and we had a tough budget to follow.

I transferred to New Mexico and didn't buy any new crystals for the Regency and later bought the BC-210 in about a year. What a new world! It could get every band in use at the time, except for the aircraft band, and didn't have a 5 MHz width of receiving signal. I started picking up skip on low band during the 1980 sunspot maximum. LAFD and LASO were favorites to listen to. I bought the Yaesu FRG-7700 and put up a multi band dipole on the roof top, plus a scanner antenna on a mast. In my remote location, not in a town, at a ranger station and adjacent housing compound I picked up a lot of stuff, but was hemmed in by some mountains to the southeast especially and could not pickup anything that direction. I could pick up the Albuquerque PD from 100 miles plus in distance. I could pick up the northern portion of the Gila NF, the Santa Fe NF and the Cibola NF. During ducting I could pick up the Carson NF. New Mexico is at a high elevation, flat, interrupted by some "island in the sky" mountain ranges so picking up repeaters from distant locations was possible. It's all about you antenna and it's location.

I joined the RCMA (Radio Communication Monitoring Association) as soon as I found out about it (maybe 1979 or 1980). It was the precursor to the online RCMA, but it was a hard copy small dimension magazine. Some great people researched some agencies prior to the internet and got us some very useful information. We had to write letters of information request from agencies and they sometimes shared all details, including frequency info. I stayed with the RCMA until is disbanded sometime in the 1990's.

A career with the U.S. Forest Service, with most of my time involved in recreation, law enforcement, firefighting and ICS participation was very compatible with having an interest in radios. I also administered special uses for electronic sites for about 10 years making a knowledge of radio a definite asset.

That is the beginning and I won't go on about subsequent transfers and my present location. I've owned over 20 scanners in my life and am now a ham radio operator as well. It's all so much fun. Thanks to Radio Reference for having a place to read and report on agency and frequency info. One improvement that it needs is to figure out a way to use a MS Word type application to write the Wiki. The present way of using what is essentially hieroglyphics makes it tough to write articles and it would become a whole lot more useful if everyone could write up articles in a far more straight forward manner.

Happy monitoring!

Last edited:

N4DJC

I started with a Bearcat IV in the mid 70's. I gave it to my in laws when I upgraded to a 210, they kept the Bearcat III for years. My hometown PD and Fire stayed analog until a couple of years ago. Miss those simple times and great audio.

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
... and great audio.
Those older desktop scanners with big speakers were and are still great. I love the sound on my old 800XLT. Something I miss from the REAL OLD radios though is the glowing of the tubes. It was kind of like watching a fireplace and you could keep warm in a small room warm at night. Damn, I'm old!

Glowing Tubes.jpg

MStep

Those older desktop scanners with big speakers were and are still great. I love the sound on my old 800XLT. Something I miss from the REAL OLD radios though is the glowing of the tubes. It was kind of like watching a fireplace and you could keep warm in a small room warm at night. Damn, I'm old!

View attachment 116621

Wow, talk about memories. I remember my first "real" receiver with the Hammarlund HQ-100A. Not for scanning of course. Strictly SWLing. But talk about heating up the room on a cold winter's night. I think it had 11 tubes. The receiver was housed in a strong metal case with hundreds of ventilation holes. The glow from the tubes along with the warm lights that illuminated the tuning dials were mesmerizing to a young radio listener. Those ventilation holes actually projected little light dots on my walls and ceiling in a dark room. One of the things that I remember most was a very pleasing "scent" that the unit would emit once it heated up. I guess my age is showing as well!

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Wow, talk about memories. I remember my first "real" receiver with the Hammarlund HQ-100A. Not for scanning of course. Strictly SWLing. But talk about heating up the room on a cold winter's night. I think it had 11 tubes. The receiver was housed in a strong metal case with hundreds of ventilation holes. The glow from the tubes along with the warm lights that illuminated the tuning dials were mesmerizing to a young radio listener. Those ventilation holes actually projected little light dots on my walls and ceiling in a dark room. One of the things that I remember most was a very pleasing "scent" that the unit would emit once it heated up. I guess my age is showing as well!

I don't miss tubes myself. The flip side of that coin is remembering my Dad go down to the neighborhood grocery store with all the tubes from our TV set and testing them on one of those ubiquitous tube testers and hoping the store wouldn't be out of the tubes that tested bad. Sometimes the tester would have a line of a few guys. By the time I became an adult and on my own everything was solid state. That started out in the early to mid 70's. Testing them when something went bad was tougher, but it was not like a monthly trip to the grocery store to test tubes.

The mobile radios in U.S. Forest Service rigs when I first started with them in 1973 still had radio behind the pickup's seat and had quite a few tubes. That's how old I am.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
My dads a paramedic and he had a scanner when I was a real little. After it went kaput, we had nothing until about 7-8 years ago I got a WS1080, now I have about a dozen of that type in various places.