Phoenix Firebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix805

For many years Phoenix has only had 1 Firebird in the air at a time and all I can remember is hearing him called Firebird - simple enough. Now it looks like they usually have 2 up at a time. How do they ID them to keep them separate? I haven't heard anything that caught my ears to offer an explanation. Thanks.

KB7MIB

"Air nn" on PD channels. The nn indicates the time they go off duty. Air 11 goes off duty at 1100 hours. Air 23 goes off duty at 2300 hours. Etc.

"Firebird nn" on FD or Interop channels, or another agency's channel if not on Interop. Also when on 123.025 talking to other non-PPD helos. The nn indicates the last two of the registration number. Firebird 10 is the joint PD/FD bird.

I don't think they always have 2 birds up. I do believe that their shifts overlap, so you will hear 2 up at the same time when their shifts overlap.

John
Peoria

Phoenix805

Thanks John.
That rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I heard that before but was drawing blanks. Something's going on right now at 67 Ave & Glendale, 2 Phx PD birds and 2 media birds circling.

Status
Not open for further replies.