Pi-Star updated May

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketNJ

Any mention of new features?

Also anybody have PiStar set up for P25? I am looking to get P25 working on the PiStar then connect to a local P25 gateway on another Pi on the network and set that up to bridge to YSF. That way I can go P25 to YSF in wide mode.

DMR to YSF is only in narrow mode.

w2xq

Mentor
Any mention of new features?

Also anybody have PiStar set up for P25? I am looking to get P25 working on the PiStar then connect to a local P25 gateway on another Pi on the network and set that up to bridge to YSF. That way I can go P25 to YSF in wide mode.

DMR to YSF is only in narrow mode.
I suggest you look at github as I have never seen a formal statement of features and what's new. I can tell you most of the improvements appear to be cross-modes.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
If YSF is turned on a new feature will allow to to connect and disconnect from FCS and YSF reflectors from the admin page just like using the BM api key and dstar connect and disconnect.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
My Zero W works great on v3.4.1 but I cannot get v4.1.0 to work at all. I have tried 3 different times with multiple SD cards, using the same wpa_supplicant.conf file that works on 3.4.1. I waited at least 5 minutes for it to completely boot, still no go. Any suggestions?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Did you flash the card using using Etcther?. Important step to get the V4.1.XX onto the SD card. You can't just move it to the card. This late at night the details are a little vague. Something about Etcher unpacks the file AND create a dos and unix(?) partition. Some files go into the dos partition and others into the 'other'. If wrong I will find out in the morning. :) Flashing is paramount and Etcher is not the only utility you can you.
Good Luck
Mike

P.S. If you are using Etcher, ignore the warning Window throws about unreadable. Thats the second partition it is complaining about and should be ignored.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
YMMV, but I have found that using prior versions of wpa_supplicant.conf doesn't work very well... even when upgrading from one 4.x to a newer version. I've experienced corrupt wpa_supplicant files and most recently, a file named "wpa_supplicant.conf(1)" was on the root of the filesystem which was preventing the correct version from being written. I deleted it and reconfigured all my WiFi settings using the web interface. BTW... the boot-up after a major upgrade takes a LONG time. Wait until you see the "pi-star" SSID appear in your list of WiFi networks (wait long time) then connect to it. Then complete your initial WiFi setup using Configuration from Pi-Star Dashboard. After that you can play as you wish with wpa_supplicant. But my experience has been that to get an initial good result you have to setup WiFi via the web interface.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I understand, but I have created a new wpa_supplicant.conf file, and I have waited for at least 5 to 10 minutes and it never fully booted. It's not connecting to my wifi. I didn't have any issues with 3.4.1, in fact I have two pi w zero boards and it is the same result on both. I will get a new SD card and try again.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Don't create a wpa_supplicant file at all. It's not necessary. Put nothing else in the root directory that was not there after the initial imaging of the card. Then boot the device, connect to the pi-star SSID, connect to the Dashboard via the pistar.local URL or IP, use your browser and go to Configuration > Wireless Configuration and set up your initial WiFi config there.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
How can I connect to pi-star.local if it doesn't know how to connect to my wireless network?

morfis

How can I connect to pi-star.local if it doesn't know how to connect to my wireless network?

If you don't tell the Pi to connect to a network it will default to being an access point.

popnokick is suggesting you connect your computer to the Raspberry Pi when it creates it's default access point.

I prefer manually creating the wpa_supplicant file but either method should work.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
If you don't tell the Pi to connect to a network it will default to being an access point.

popnokick is suggesting you connect your computer to the Raspberry Pi when it creates it's default access point.

I prefer manually creating the wpa_supplicant file but either method should work.

OK, that makes sense. I will give it a try when I get home this evening.

Thanks guys

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get it working, although a pain in the ***. Not like when I first set it up way back when with 3.1.

Thanks for the assistance.

w2xq

Mentor
Dribs and drabs:
Pi-Star 4.1.1 / 20200518 update.
Changes to pistar-tgifapi file

FWIW There have also been a number of Buster OS updates since the beginning of May... in addition to the cross mode stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.