Pickens County. New Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch618

I've been wanting a new scanner for a while now but can't decide which one to get. The problem is, with all these changes in radio systems going on I'm afraid the one I pick will end up being obsolete. Pickens county and the towns in it are still using the same type of radio systems they've been using for decades. Oconee county has upgraded to DMR and NDXN and I can't help but think that could happen here. Does anyone know what the county has planned for their radio systems? As always, your advice and opinions are appreciated.

mattbrissey

pickens radios

As far as i am aware of, there are no changes planned. At least on the fire department side. I think they just added a new back up console. if im wrong, i hope someone will correct me on this.

Bigfootbuilt

As far as i am aware of, there are no changes planned. At least on the fire department side. I think they just added a new back up console. if im wrong, i hope someone will correct me on this.

Seeing that Anderson County and others have switched some communications over to P25, I think it is only a matter of time before others switch over to either P25 or other DMR sooner or later. I read somewhere that by state law, any new equipment that is phasing out older equipment has to be P25 compliant. I have a BCD536HP that is upgraded to be able to scan DMR and P25. I'm not close enough to pick up Anderson county, but I can receive digital from local businesses around here. I think I paid $60 for the DMR firmware upgrade.

Last edited:

p1879

That must be the state law that the Motorola Lobbyists bought.

Bigfootbuilt

Motorola doesn't have exclusive rights to DMR. One of the benefits of the transition is that you aren't confined to one brand of radio. The whole point is more interoperability between other agencies during disasters.

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
The guy who works for Clemson University and programs their radios told me that Clemson City is ready to switch to DMR but held up waiting on Central PD to buy radios. Central and Clemson share a joint dispatch system and should switch sometime within the next year.

reconrider8

Honestly if we are talking about dmr why not buy like a cs580 and use the range search feature to listen in if they are uhf. That's like $155 compared to over $600? Just don't set it up to talk on it or it could become a bad day and this is if they arnt using encryption

rescuecomm

Any 800 mhz radio going on the Palmetto 800 (soon so be Pal 25) state network has to be P25 capable. County owned systems not purchased with federal funds can be whatever. I have heard no rumbling about Pickens County making major changes. Local city funded fire and police departments can make easier budgeting decisions since fewer radios need to be purchased.

Just my 2 cents worth
Bob

daugherh

There have been rumors of NXDN being brought in to place in Pickens. However, to this point it's only rumors from my stand point. Haven't heard anymore about it since around last September.

Status
Not open for further replies.