Pittsburgh Police Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I will have to look and see if i still have an excel spreadsheet with the box assignments and staffing.

Frank

Frank,

I haven't checked in on the forums in a month or so. What does your sheet cover? Is this the shift run down? Just curious.

I have a number of updates/refinements to my original posts. I stopped doing updates as I didn't have time to do a wiki and the posts get more cumbersome with all the updates.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
It just shows for each box assignment the whole set of alarm assignments and who goes.

Frank

Some quick items:

The 37XX series of call signs are for narcotics detectives and appear to be officer specific. They will have an unmarked car and work out of HQ on Western Ave.

The 38XX series of call signs are for detectives other than narcotics and appear to be officer specific. They will have an unmarked car and work out of HQ on Western Ave.

Since there are a number of detectives from different departments lumped into the 38XX series, it appears the powers that be wanted a better numbering system to differentiate these detectives. Therefore, the five digit numbering system was born:

381XX = Homicide
384XX = Arson
385XX = Burglary

I have not heard any other HQ 5 digit call signs (note that I said HQ units) with other than a 1, 4, or 5 for the third digit.

33626 = Zone 3 Bike Officer
33627 = Zone 3 Bike Officer
33628 = Zone 3 Bike Officer
33629 = Zone 3 Bike Officer

So the second digit is the Zone and the third digit of "6" indicates a bicycle unit/officer.

I've not heard other Zone's with 5 digit call signs for their Bicycle officers. I'm not sure why the switch here. Maybe there is some change going on with Bicycle officers being assigned directly to the Zone as opposed to SDD.

3 Bike XX = Bicycle unit ("Bike" always means "Bicycle")

I screwed that up thinking that Bike referred to Motorcycle - Whoops!?!?!? "Cycle" always means "Motorcycle".

You may hear the shift lieutenant/sergeant referring to "early side" or "late side" units. Each shift has units that start at the beginning of the shift (early side) or one hour later (late side). So early side AM shift starts at 7am and late side AM starts at 8 am.

39XX on air call signs are for Pittsburgh School Police and not undercover HQ units.

Code 2 - Obviously falls betwen a Code 1 and 3. A Code 2 is a much more imperative call for backup than a Code 1, but the officer hasn't yet been injured as in a Code 3. So call it a significant chance of an officer altercation so backup needs to be there ASAP. LOL - Hope this works.

"Run Down" is faxed by the Shift Commander (Lieutenant) at the Zone to the dispatcher/base at the begining of each shift. It details who is working each shift and their call signs, early side/late side and split shift assignments.

I was asked by a Narcotics detective to not pass on the Narcotics surveillance frequencies. To date, I've honored that request and will continue to do so. If you have those frequencies, please do not add them to this post. Amazing how that works?!?!?! Someone takes the time to talk with you and you respect their wishes. KRAZZEEEE :)

To that end, I've refrained from SRU changes as they are in the same boat.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
also in the 39xx are the university police units if they come over to city ch's,

Pitt, CMU, Carlow, Duquense,

Ones that has bonafide university police depts. not security guards,

Sometimes you will just hear them announce in plain english..also others do that

Sheriff 524 to city radio..

Frank

Calling unit 3SW1... 3SW1.... 3SW1

I'm down to one unidentitified call sign. I've probably heard it five or so times over the past year. First time or two I thought I just misheard it, but I'm positive it is correct. So last night, I was tortured as the dispatcher couldn't find the unit for a bit and relentlessly called on all the Pittsburgh Police channels to get the unit to go to Channel 4.

This unit appears to do patrol work, mainly heard in Zone 1, possibly 2. However, they were out for a bit checking on the immigration status of a car's occupants. An immigration check is a rare bird.

I've not heard any other variation of this unit. It's always 3SW1. I'm guessing this is a HQ car. I haven't seen their ride so I don't know if it's a marked unit (guessing no at this point).

Please help my headache go away!!?!?!?!?!

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
OK,, here goes on this.. i dont understand the logic..

3sw units are weed and seed units.. funded by federal grant money.. for a time weed and seed was concentrated to lawrenceville.. dont know what part of town is allocated for the money now..

Frank

LOL! I forgot you gave me that tid bit awhile back. They like to switch it up:

3SW1 Weed and Seed (SW is reversed)

Similar switcheroo:
3221 - The 2 in the third spot indicates 1 officer in the car
3211 - The 1 in the third spot indicates 2 officers in the car

I suppose it is a way to make the call signs not so obvious in relation to the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.