PL-259 Socket Too Darn Tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomLine

Is there a method to de-burr a PL-259 socket? I have a A/B splitter with one port super-duper tight. (The splitter is sealed up good, but I may investigate being able to replace the socket.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you sure it's a UHF connector (PL-259, SO-239) and not an N connector? The pin on a UHF male plug will appear to be very tight in a female N connector.

kj4jaq

Gulf of Mexico Galavanter
Premium Subscriber
Are you sure it's a UHF connector (PL-259, SO-239) and not an N connector? The pin on a UHF male plug will appear to be very tight in a female N connector.
female N connector wont accept pl259 center pin unless forced and most likely broken. considerable size difference of center pins

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
female N connector wont accept pl259 center pin unless forced and most likely broken. considerable size difference of center pins
This, in fact, can be a common problem in agencies where both types of connectors are used. The male UHF will start on a female N and, since the threads are similar, the UHF can be easily tightened down on the N. This totally destroys the N female, of course, resulting in an expensive fix.

TomLine

It's one of these. Connector on left is bugger tight. Connector on right is okay. Swapped cables, ends, all that stuff.
1633441924088.png

900mhz

If you have a tap and die set...if I recall, a PL 259 is a 5/8 X 24 threads per inch. So, an appropriate die threaded on the port with issues may solve your issue.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Would dialectic grease insulate the surfaces from one another? Is there a conductive "electric" grease?

Yes, their is a conductive grease. It has metal particles in the grease and you screw in until those contact both surfaces with the grease holding them providing a seal. Such grease should match the metal in the particles with those of the surfaces inforder not to cause problems. Google "conductive grease".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

TomLine

Used a 5/32" drill (I think) bit to get it roughed-out. Then ran it backwards to smooth it. Then ran it upside down in the chuck to polish it.
Looks like the inner sleve was jammed in, and the flares squeezed it shut.
Feels smooth, a bit rough, but tested out okay so it works.
1633454657255.png

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
A lot of cheap connectors from CHINA have cast molded treads in crappy metal, not machined. Try a tiny bit of lubricant on the threads. Sometimes a PL259 plug will have excess solder on the outside of the center pin causing it to fit tighter than it should.

Example:
1633455165741.png

MTScannerNut

I use NO OX ID on my connectors: NO-OX-ID Electrical Contact Grease- Conductive Lubricant | Sanchem, Inc.

Been used in the telecommunications and broadcast industries for decades. I only use a very small amount and it not only protects against corrosion, but it does make the center pin insert easier. But as iMonitor stated, if it's a crap China connector or too much solder, grease won't make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.