Plain Language Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

From the governor's press release:

RICHMOND - Governor Timothy M. Kaine today announced progress in an effort to get Virginia’s first responders and public safety personnel to shift to common language instead of 10-codes in day-to-day operations and mutual aid events. The common language protocol will be formally announced at the 2006 Virginia Interoperable Communications Conference, to be held October 3-4 in Portsmouth.

The State Interoperability Executive Committee (SIEC) and Commonwealth Interoperability Coordinator’s Office (CICO) determined a common language protocol that allows the use of plain English for most transmissions. The initiative has been endorsed by the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police, Virginia Sheriffs Association, Virginia Fire Chiefs Association, Virginia Association and the Virginia State Police.

scanjunkie

We use plain speak here in my county and it's GREAT!! It's so much easier for everyone to know what's going on. Especially incoming units from other jurisdictions.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
What gets me is that when the Apco 10 codes were done it was done to make a uniform list. Then the different jurisdictions get a hold of it and say ok I want to change it. That is where the problem is.

KG4ZPD

Long time coming. There was talk of that back when I was a volunteer with Stafford County back in 1996-2000. Makes things a whole lot easier, yes. When I moved to Ga last year, our station used plain language. 10 codes got confusing when dealing with county and city units where everyone had their own version of them.

tim_gladding

"Plain Language" is being pushed by the DHS/FEMA as part of NIMS (National Incident Management System) and is tied to funding - switch or you don't get funded by the feds :)

tuttleje

Has the Governor told the Virginia State Police to use plain language? The last time I looked....they work for him. You would think he would want them to "lead by example". If he told them, they are not paying any attention.

Last edited:

tim_gladding

tuttleje said:
Has the Governor told the Virginia State Police to use plain language? The last time I looked....they work for him. You would think he would want them to "lead by example". If he told them, they are not paying any attention.

Yes, VASP are going to "plain language" along with all the other agencies in the state.. all in good time. You can't just flip a switch. Right now I believe they are either working on or have just finalized negotiations on keeping a very small select few 10 codes such as 19-29, 10-32, 10-95, 10-96 and 10-99.. you don't want the public having a complete understanding of those codes :)

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
Most Agencies, whether they are Fire, EMS or PD, that use plain language still retain a select few "codes" for sensitive topics.

In EMS it often includes sexual assaults, communicable disease patients, psych patients, DOAs, suicides, and sometimes overdoses.

With PD's the list is sometimes longer & more specific, including SWAT incidents, psychiatric subjects, records indicate person wanted, etc.

"codes" can be good if it helps protect officer/responder safety or helps prevent community hysteria.

Coming from a 'plain language' fire/EMS dispatch center in VA where the only 10-code we used was "10-4", it took me a while to adjust to the use of 10-codes for nearly everything here in NC. A lot of PD agencies here still use 10-10 to mean "negative". I don't think the answer No needs a secure code... :|

tim_gladding

I'm in Fire/EMS, we don't have any 10-codes, not even 10-4. The Sheriff's department has maybe 20 10-codes and a couple of 'Signal' codes.

tim_gladding

Actually, here is the full list :)

Code:
10-1     Bad? Transmission
10-3     Stop Transmission
10-4     OK
10-7     Out Of Service
10-8     In Service (cleared scene)
10-23    Arrived On Scene
10-26    Detaining Subject, Subject can overhear
10-27    License check
10-28    Vehicle Reg check
10-29    Wanted check
10-32    Armed/Weapon
10-33    Emergency
10-38    Traffic Stop
10-41    On Duty
10-42    Off Duty
10-78    Send Backup non-emergency
10-89    Bomb Threat
10-90    Bait Car
10-95    Subject in custody
10-96    Mental subject
10-99    Person of Item Wanted/Stolen
Sig. 13  Officer in trouble - send help

topcop1833

don't take it as gospel, but this is what i was told....

the only "10 codes" used will be signal 1-4.
signal 1 - old version of 10-33
signal 2 - need assistance
signal 3 - sorry, i cant remember this one
signal 4 - prepare for sensitive info to be passed (kinda like when youd get a hit, and dispatch would come back and just say 10-99, rather than flat out say he's wanted.

all of the plain speak stuff is supposed to be what you would see as definitions on the 10 codes list.

Status
Not open for further replies.