Please be Discrete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

screamin72

I like the idea of streaming law enforcement but there is a very real downside to this fun which isn't a fun thought. There are law enforcement people that look for audio feeds from various law enforcement agancies. Like in my city, they went EDACS 96 P25 to try to stop criminals from monitoring their systems (their excuse). In my city they have a encryption method that can overlay the P25 voice packets making it impossible to decipher. Until someone really does crack it but then the time it took to do that they would have made another algorithm.

It is in standby at the moment.

I bet they don't want it cracked and using it for the most eligible circumstance. Usually they just call each other on cell pones if the situation deems it. If one day you get some weird audio through your scanner just think about the audio feeds. I am saying this because it can put a big hole in our hobby. Of course some agencies already encrypt themselves. They could even turn it on just to feel 'safer'.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I like the idea of streaming law enforcement but there is a very real downside to this fun which isn't a fun thought. There are law enforcement people that look for audio feeds from various law enforcement agancies. Like in my city, they went EDACS 96 P25 to try to stop criminals from monitoring their systems (their excuse). In my city they have a encryption method that can overlay the P25 voice packets making it impossible to decipher. Until someone really does crack it but then the time it took to do that they would have made another algorithm.

I bet they don't want it cracked and using it for the most eligible circumstance. Usually they just call each other on cell pones if the situation deems it. If one day you get some weird audio through your scanner just think about the audio feeds. I am saying this because it can put a big hole in our hobby. Of course some agencies already encrypt themselves. They could even turn it on just to feel 'safer'.

The downside of streaming and encryption, and their negative effects on the scanning hobby, have been beaten to death on these forums many times over.

Here is some good info for newcomers to the forum.

The RadioReference.com Forums - Announcements in Forum : Forum Rules and Guidelines

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

What the heck is EDACS 96 P25????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The newbie did mean EDACS 96 P25 because that's what it is.

If this is true, you have encountered the first EDACS system on the planet to use APCO Project 25 common air interface.

I am extremely doubtful that is the case.

Perhaps you mean that the audio is in a digital modulation (Provoice)? Not all digital modes are P25.

Last edited:
S

screamin72

If this is true, you have encountered the first EDACS system on the planet to use APCO Project 25 common air interface.

I am extremely doubtful that is the case.

Perhaps you mean that the audio is in a digital modulation (Provoice)? Not all digital modes are P25.

Apparently you need more coffee because you missed the whole thing.
I repeat myself so you can get the whole thing right:

Different types of EDACS
EDACS - The RadioReference Wiki

My city uses EDACS 96 (9600 baud)

I added P25 to it because that's what they use on the EDACS 96 system for voice.

Please do not insult my intelligence I just came for info not spats on trivial things!!!
Man first day on this forum and I get this???

Last edited:

WB4CS

Different types of EDACS
EDACS - The RadioReference Wiki

My city uses EDACS 96 (9600 baud)

I added P25 to it because that's what they use on the EDACS 96 system for voice.

From the very wiki page you linked to:

Digital communications is also available for EDACS systems and exists in two different formats, AEGIS and ProVoice. Previously, VoiceGuard was also available. AEGIS was the first format introduced and ProVoice was the last and current format. Neither one is APCO-25 Common Air Interface compliant unlike Motorola's ASTRO, which is. Also, neither AEGIS nor ProVoice can communicate with each other.

Welcome to Radio Reference :)

Jay911

Feed Provider
I didn't "miss the whole thing", I edited it down, because I know what types of EDACS there is (and don't need a wiki article to look them up), and P25 is not one of them.

Just because a system is "9600 baud" doesn't mean it's P25. EDACS systems are most definitively NOT P25, period, end of sentence, paragraph, and discussion.

P25 voice (called "P25 Common Air Interface") is carried over either conventional non-trunked channels, or Motorola Type II trunking, or the APCO P25 trunking protocol. That's all there is to it.

S

screamin72

That's not what I was implying. I simply put it in my own words

EDACS96 P25 meaning EDACS ProVoice.

OKCPD uses EDACS 9600 baud with P25 Voice added.

EDACS96 P25 in my own words.

Jay911

Feed Provider
That's not what I was implying. I simply put it in my own words

EDACS96 P25 meaning EDACS ProVoice.

Your own words are wrong, even with your edit.

P25 does not mean Provoice.

That's like saying "My wife, meaning my sister". Unless you're in a real backwards part of the world, that's not correct either.

S

screamin72

that where I got confused. Provoice and P25 lol. Now gimme a break pleaseeeeeeeee........

Status
Not open for further replies.