Please Explain what is Broadcast at Different Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_to_scanners

Premium Subscriber
I keep reading about Simulcast A, B, C, G, etc. but I cannot comprehend what is broadcast over each of these sites - then I read about say White Tanks, Lake Pleasant, etc. So my questions are:

Geesh, difficult to explain in words!

1. I want to hear all of Phoenix - is all of Phoenix PD broadcast over Simulcast A?
2. If so, is there any point to listening to Simulcast B, C, E, G, etc.
3. I read that E is converting to G....exactly what does that mean? What data is being transmitted?
4. What is the relationship between the Simulcasts and the Physical Locations. For instance, if Lake Pleasant no longer broadcasts, what is it no longer broadcasting - A? G?

I'm just so confused.....I don't see the relationship between everything and how it all interacts.

If anyone can possible figure out what am talking about I would greatly appreciate it......thanks!

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
You ask some very good questions. I will chime in with my answers, and I invite everyone to add or correct me.

To start, I suggest looking at the links below to help you become more familiar with concepts like simulcast and Motorola Smartzone.

Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki
Motorola Type II SmartZone - The RadioReference Wiki

1. I want to hear all of Phoenix - is all of Phoenix PD broadcast over Simulcast A?
--If you want to Listen to Phoenix PD, and can receive Simulcast A, this is the best option. All PPD talkgroups are carried on Simulcast A at all times.
2. If so, is there any point to listening to Simulcast B, C, E, G, etc.
--Simulcast B is transmitted from the same tower sites as A. B carries all Fire talkgroups at all times. B also serves as a backup if there is a failure to A and vice versa.
--C will carry only talkgroups where a unit is affiliated (see the SmartZone Wiki above). C provides RWC users with coverage in Chandler. You will likely hear some fire talkgroups and PPD 400 on C.
--E is no longer in service, so you will not need to worry about this.
--G covers Peoria and the West Valley. You will hear all Peoria talkgroups, and other talkgroups when radios affiliate to it.
--On another note, there is a singe site in the West Valley on the White Tanks mountain that currently carries all Buckeye talkgroups, and frequently Peoria, Phoenix PD, and Phoenix Fire talkgroups.
3. I read that E is converting to G....exactly what does that mean? What data is being transmitted?
--E is now shut down. Frequencies that were used by E will eventually be used to add capacity to C. What this means is if you listened to E in the past, you should now listen to G and the White Tanks site.
4. What is the relationship between the Simulcasts and the Physical Locations. For instance, if Lake Pleasant no longer broadcasts, what is it no longer broadcasting - A? G?
--(See the Simulcast Wiki above). The RWC consists of simulcast sites that have multiple towers and single sites that are sometimes called IntelliRepeaters. In the past the tower at Lake Pleasant was an IntelliRepeater (IR) site, but now the tower is part of Simulcast G.

Hopefully this helps to clear things up a little. The RWC is one of the most advanced and complex systems in the nation. All of the sites together allow a system user to have coverage on their portable radios throughout almost the entire valley. For scanner listeners, it creates some challenges and frustrations because you must be in range of specific areas of the system in order to hear that agencies that you want to hear.

For more information on how the system works, you can search Google for “Motorola SmartZone” and “Motorola Simulcast”. There is some great information available if you are looking to better understand the workings of these systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.