Polk County officially begins testing of new P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkEnder47

As of October 26th, I officially started receiving signal from Polk County's new frequencies for their new P25 radio system apart of the Cobb Regional Radio System. Their license was granted on the 22nd of October, with a callsign of WROJ390, this system is using 700MHz frequencies. I began hearing testing on the 26th, talkgroups are in the 34xxx range. My WS1088 is not taking this simulcast system very well at all, but I am trying to make it work. So far I have discovered around 15/16 talk groups, most of which are encrypted. The talkgroups I have discovered seem to not really be in a certain pattern, (ex. will talk on 34000, then randomly talk on 34998, or 34070.) As of right now, there is a lot of traffic on 34000, I'm not very familiar with how testing of a new TRS goes, but at this point from what I can hear, they are just saying things like testing 12345, 54321, pullback, and things like that.
I will try to submit data to the database as much as I can, as soon as it starts getting more traffic, and I can verify the information.

n3pi

Based on your information, you are correct on the talkgroup ID range. Your assessment of random is not correct, most are grouped as per requested disciplines. As of right now, all TGS are configured FDMA but it may change. Hope this helps and have fun..

DarkEnder47

Thank you both for the information. I am still monitoring this new system although it is very difficult with about 90% encryption. I'm not sure if Motorola/the counties usually do testing on the weekends, but I did in fact just see some activity late at night (around 11PM). Do you know if during the testing phase they usually say the name of the TG, or will I just have to wait and see who starts using it when they switch over?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Acceptance testing can occur any time, based on availability of staff from the agency as well as vendor personnel. Usually requires several teams and the area under test is based on grid locations.
When we did our ATP it was supposed to take two weeks but we completed in under 4 days, with multiple teams working from 7AM until 5-6 at night. Coverage testing is done in the fall/winter, as the attenuation from foliage is minimized during these seasons.

DarkEnder47

Polk County has now fully transitioned to the new P25 System since all of a sudden early Tuesday morning. The only department left on the old DMR system is School Buses, but I do think they will eventually switch over also. I am slowly submitting TGRPs to the database, although it is difficult because my scanner is not the greatest receiving simulcast, and every talkgroup is encrypted except Fire Dispatch, even Fire Tacs are encrypted. I am still hearing testing on 30486, and also long beeps on that talkgroup. I will add info to the database as I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.