Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Ok, I agree keeping 453.400 in the scanner, but it should probably be marked as either "backup or "tac/talkaround" in the DB rather than appearing as a main "law dispatch" frequency.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I would keep the 453.4000 I have heard transmissions on there in the last year, Also all the PA bridge and Tunnel analog Freq's and tunes are also in play, we monitor during winter weather, you will hear maintenance and Tunnel and Bridge operations on those channels. I recently " Night at the Airport " visit thanks UMDNJ EMS for hosting, great night for a line EMT if your into Newark Airport and its operations one ARFF Firefighter told me they use the analog freq's as well as the tower freqs to communicate with the airport operations, while we are hear does anyone know what the Newark Airport Port Authority Buses operate on? they are using CDM radios. have a great day everyone.

I think you might have misunderstood what he meant or he may have put it a confusing way. ARFF (and the airports) is where things get complicated. At Newark ARFF is dual alerted. They receive a voice call over 121.8 (EWR Ground Primary) and P25 Trunked (TGID Unknown). They communicate with the EWR CPD on P25 Trunked, PA Airport Ops Cars on 453.650 and Av frequencies, but for operations they operate on EWR Ground enroute to the alert but on operate P25 and 134.05 (EWR Discrete) with the aircraft during the alert. ARFF apparatus are all equipped with a stack of comms gear that looks like a whacker shopping spree including ADS-B equipment.

EWR administrative ops and maintenance now operate pretty much 50/50 between P25 and UHF EWR1-EWR4, with 3 and 4 having rarely ever been used except during extreme storms with large snow team ops.

TEB ARFF, Maintenance, Ops, and Police all operate and have always on EWR's talkgroups and frequencies with the caveat of being able to also operate on South Bergen FMA to talk to Hasbrouck Heights as they're second due at the airport, but often also respond for an Alert 3 or higher since TEB only has R61 and R62 and normally only staffs one due to lack of incident volume and lower mean air traffic.

All of the above also applies to JFK and LGA, just on their own respective frequencies.

Bridge & Tunnel Agents still utilize the following, but primary are on P25:
1599496948484.png

453.400 is also the primary frequency for most NYSDOCCS facilities and buses. In what context was the traffic you heard?

Last edited:

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I think you might have misunderstood what he meant or he may have put it a confusing way. ARFF (and the airports) is where things get complicated. At Newark ARFF is dual alerted. They receive a voice call over 121.8 (EWR Ground Primary) and P25 Trunked (TGID Unknown). They communicate with the EWR CPD on P25 Trunked, PA Airport Ops Cars on 453.650 and Av frequencies, but for operations they operate on EWR Ground enroute to the alert but on operate P25 and 134.05 (EWR Discrete) with the aircraft during the alert. ARFF apparatus are all equipped with a stack of comms gear that looks like a whacker shopping spree including ADS-B equipment.

EWR administrative ops and maintenance now operate pretty much 50/50 between P25 and UHF EWR1-EWR4, with 3 and 4 having rarely ever been used except during extreme storms with large snow team ops.

TEB ARFF, Maintenance, Ops, and Police all operate and have always on EWR's talkgroups and frequencies with the caveat of being able to also operate on South Bergen FMA to talk to Hasbrouck Heights as they're second due at the airport, but often also respond for an Alert 3 or higher since TEB only has R61 and R62 and normally only staffs one due to lack of incident volume and lower mean air traffic.

All of the above also applies to JFK and LGA, just on their own respective frequencies.

Bridge & Tunnel Agents still utilize the following, but primary are on P25:
View attachment 90969

453.400 is also the primary frequency for most NYSDOCCS facilities and buses. In what context was the traffic you heard?

There are NO, I repeat NO civilian ops on their P25 system. Civilian ops, including TBA's operate on the local facility conventional repeaters, listed in the DB. ARFF, being staffed by PAPD, are on P25, as well as local repeaters and Tower/Ground AM Channels. Only a select few, outside of LEO's, have access to the P25 System. No maintenance staff or other operations level personnel are on P25.

asnhnetwork

I did hear Lincoln Tunnel on their UHF this morning conducting radio checks Mid River in 1 of the tubes.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT delete any Port Authority conventional freqs they are ALL still active one way or another, we listen to them all the time.
I agree with you. Everyone should keep their old vhf and uhf for backup. The agencies that didnt are foolish.
I agree with that also, the Burlington, New Jersey Bridge Commission police recently went encrypted along with the rest of the county but they have always used their simplex 151.010 pl 127.3 as a backup. They've had that frequency for decades and decades and it is always busier than their TRS. It always worked and sounded better than their TRS also LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.