Port Forwarding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
This is not a radio question, so that is why I am posting in his area. I bought a DVMEGA Cast, which is an AMBE3000 based Multimode IP radio for DMR, D-Star and Fusion, which are three digital modes used on amateur radio VHF/UHF bands. I also installed a DVMEGA DVstick 30, which, as I understand it, allows the DVMEGA Cast to act as a de facto server. I have installed BlueDV AMBE on my Samsung Galaxy S9 and I have been trying to connect to my DVMEGA Cast with the BlueDV AMBE, but I have been unsuccessful.

The directions are a bit unclear to me, but I think what I might need to do is configure my router to allow Port Forwarding, so that I can connect with the BlueDV AMBE Android app.

For those that are, or were, into networking, does that make sense and sound like something I should try?

prcguy

The only reason you might need to port forward is when accessing a device at home when away from home. Port forwarding will make sure your commands or audio gets to the correct device on your home router. Is that the way you need to operate your stuff?

JASII

Memory Capacity
The only reason you might need to port forward is when accessing a device at home when away from home. Port forwarding will make sure your commands or audio gets to the correct device on your home router. Is that the way you need to operate your stuff?

Yes, there is an Android app that will allow me to remotely get on amateur radio DMR and other modes.

prcguy

There should be instructions with your hardware on how to do port forwarding. Your device will need a fixed IP on your home LAN and you need to know what ports it uses and if they are UDP or TCP. Usually you go into your home router menu and find the firewall settings. There should be an area for port forwarding where you will choose the internal fixed IP address of your device and you can allow UDP or TCP port numbers to pass through from the outside Internet to that internal IP address. You usually name the session something related to what it is then save it.

I have a bunch of different radio remote control programs and have separate lists of ports and IP addresses that get forwarded here.

You can also cheat and DMZ a particular internal IP address where everything from the outside world will pass through. That's dangerous if the device can be hacked but its also handy for a quick verification for remote control of the device and you would later undo DMZ and do a port forwarding list.

Yes, there is an Android app that will allow me to remotely get on amateur radio DMR and other modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.