portable scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

waal

i'm just about as new as you can get to all this, i've been up all night reading. I want to listen to the local pd and fd. I have their freqences. I'm not sure what trunking will do, that confuses me. I've read reviews on the BC72XLT, and it has the right freq.'s. One reviewer commented that he couldn't hear the Pd, and that it was coded. I just don't want to be dissappointed. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...963030-6180807?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

i'm not really into nascar. I also wonder how far i could pick up a signal with a portable scanner. I'm looking for something cheap and a somewhat understandable manual. Any ideas.
I appreciate it.

jeffrey420

What area are you in?

The Pro-83 which is made by uniden for RS has more channels and does 800mhz. They are clearing them out for I think $70 if you can find one.

Really depends on your needs for your area.

Last edited:

waal

I am from the stark county, OH. area. Mainly Jackson township, if you look it up. I don't know if the Pd and Fd are digital or not. I'm not experianced enough to know. I would need something that will track the trucking so i can enjoy. I was looking at the pro-94 on ebay and the pro-2052 and pro-2055 I decided i wouldn't mind the mobile/base. I just wonder if i'm missing anything?

seamusg

waal said:
I am from the stark county, OH. area. Mainly Jackson township, if you look it up. I don't know if the Pd and Fd are digital or not. I'm not experianced enough to know. I would need something that will track the trucking so i can enjoy. I was looking at the pro-94 on ebay and the pro-2052 and pro-2055 I decided i wouldn't mind the mobile/base. I just wonder if i'm missing anything?
The database is showing Stark Co. on a trunked system with digital ( MODE D is digital).
Trunked system:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1369
Conventional:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=2115
To listen to Stark Co. TRS you woul need a digital scanner. You might want to look at a PRO96.

jeffrey420

Yes, the 96 and 2096 are on sale now.

You never realize how much you are missing until you get digital, when there are digital system in your area.

waal

Well, that still is a bit much for me if i buy from radioshack. I think i might be able to get a pro-96 off ebay for a little cheaper. Any other model's that you might suggest?

seamusg

waal said:
Well, that still is a bit much for me if i buy from radioshack. I think i might be able to get a pro-96 off ebay for a little cheaper. Any other model's that you might suggest?
. All digital scanners are around $500. As for me I have a BC796D and a PRO96. Where I live there is a lot of digital and the rest is going digital soon.

Nasby

There is still plenty to hear if you can't afford a digital scanner. Jackson Twp, North Canton, Hartville and some other departments in the area are still on conventional, non-digital frequencies. Plus, you can monitor aircraft, rail, ambulance, etc. with a less expensive conventional scanner.
Paul F.

elk2370bruce

Beware scanners on e-bay. Caveat emptor! Some sellers are good guys with fair bidding, others are crooks selling crap and misrepresenting their wares. I will not purchase any radio unless I try it out in my own hot, sweaty, hands. Too many horror stories are out there to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.