Portable Tripod for Patio with Diamond X30A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoninNYC

Can someone recommend a portable tripod for use on an apartment patio. Something I can pull in and out ss needed (not screw down or bolt to floor). This will likely be used for a Diamond x30A and the antenna will need to be mounted about 10 inches above top of the tripod so no long mast will be used, if at all. Thx

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In a similar situation, I have used a home depot-type plastic bucket along with a PVC mast with a flange on the bottom, and filled about halfway with small gravel pieces as ballast. If you like, you can attach the antenna to a much shorter but somewhat larger diameter section of PVC so that it will slide onto the longer, but smaller diameter mast and can be easily removed for storage.

John AC4JK

ecps92

Tripod Sprinkler, remove the Sprinkler Head or visit a Camera Store
Can someone recommend a portable tripod for use on an apartment patio. Something I can pull in and out ss needed (not screw down or bolt to floor). This will likely be used for a Diamond x30A and the antenna will need to be mounted about 10 inches above top of the tripod so no long mast will be used, if at all. Thx

majoco

Stirrer
I came across this in our K-Mart store - equivalent to your WalMart - it's actually a bike stand, certainly heavy enough and sturdy to hold a reasonable sized antenna in the wind - and it was on special run out - NZ$15! Everything is held in clamps so the top piece can be rotated any which way. You never know what you might find when you're not looking for anything!

Attachments

• DSC_1889 sml.jpg
    DSC_1889 sml.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 214

cmdrwill

PYLE PSTND2 speaker stand available at Home Depot. Great for portable and event radio antennas.

Very similar to the bike stand in the above post, without the 'Jaws'.

JoninNYC

PYLE PSTND2 speaker stand available at Home Depot. Great for portable and event radio antennas.

Very similar to the bike stand in the above post, without the 'Jaws'.

I see those on Amazon for about $25.00
It says adjustable to 6' tall.
Do you know how tall it is at the lowest point?

JoninNYC

Right about three feet. And that is about what I paid.

Last question on the PYLE PSTND2 - Do you think its sturdy enough to leave permanently on the patio at about 4 week, with a Diamond X30A mounted to it? the X30A is 4.5 feet in height.

Cant decide if the PYLE PSTND2 is better or a large planter / bucket filled with cement and a piece of PVC sticking up. The Tripod would certainly be more aesthetically pleasing, and I like the idea that it can be moved and pulled in and out if needed. I also wouldn't have the worry of drilling holes in the door frame for a feed line if its a portable use in and out.

decisions decisions

cmdrwill

I need to make a slight correction: tripod minimum height 40 1/2 " measured.

I think it does a really good job holding antennas. Holds my Comtelco base station dual band and that is 6 feet and weighs 8 pounds.

Last edited:

JoninNYC

Thanks - At that minimum height can the antenna be mounted? I would need it mount at about 40'
Or will I need to add another 6' for a small mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.