Portland Fire monitoring issue

Abqactive

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I have recently moved to Portland and I've programmed my 436HP with both the "Multnomah County Fire" and "Portland Fire and Rescue" sections of the Portland p25 Phase 1 system. I have been able to hear conversations on a scanner app on my phone, but I can't pick them up on my scanner. I've triple checked all of the system types are enabled, made sure all programming is current for the Portland p25 phase 1 system, and that all quick keys match the associated systems. Is it that there is some kind of long delay or is it an issue with the Sentinel-Radioreference programming database not being correct/current? If anyone here monitors Portland Fire I would greatly appreciate some help as to trying to figure out what the issue is.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Which site(s) do you have programmed? Maybe someone local can comment on how the 436hp does with the simulcast system in Portland.

Abqactive

Premium Subscriber
Which site(s) do you have programmed? Maybe someone local can comment on how the 436hp does with the simulcast system in Portland.
I have all sites programed for Multnomah County. I think I may have figured out the problem which was that I was using a scanner app to check if my scanner was receiving, but from what I can tell there is a very long delay between the app and what my scanner picks up as I was finally able to pick up portland fire. I haven't heard anything on the Trimet/Max talkgroups (both the portland p25 and trimet's separate p25 system) either but I'm assuming maybe that is because the talkgroups just aren't as active as I thought they'd be?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I have all sites programed for Multnomah County. I think I may have figured out the problem which was that I was using a scanner app to check if my scanner was receiving, but from what I can tell there is a very long delay between the app and what my scanner picks up as I was finally able to pick up portland fire. I haven't heard anything on the Trimet/Max talkgroups (both the portland p25 and trimet's separate p25 system) either but I'm assuming maybe that is because the talkgroups just aren't as active as I thought they'd be?
Yes - scanner apps can have a delay on the order of several minutes.

You may want to start by including only the East and West sites. Locals indicate that these cover the county well.

radiotweester

You'll have better results if you delete all the sites except the West and East Simulcasts, and only enable 1 of the 2 depending on your location. MAX Channels are usually quiet except train movements that are carried over from the TriMet system. I'd suggest adding their system with the same simulcast advise.

Abqactive

Premium Subscriber
You'll have better results if you delete all the sites except the West and East Simulcasts, and only enable 1 of the 2 depending on your location. MAX Channels are usually quiet except train movements that are carried over from the TriMet system. I'd suggest adding their system with the same simulcast advise.
That's what I was thinking , thank you for the help!

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I do a selective knob for each site. West, East and Goat. I can receive Goat as far as Woodland on I-5 and through town to Woodburn or so

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Could be the lower gain of that antenna eliminated the simulcast issues or desense from something else. I use a unication G4 but have a 436 around here somewhere. Glad it's working better

Abqactive

Premium Subscriber
I've also been trying to figure out which channel the allied universal transit security guys use? I've heard their radios go off but my scanner stays silent even though I've programmed in all the trimet talkgroups and their respective channels.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I've also been trying to figure out which channel the allied universal transit security guys use? I've heard their radios go off but my scanner stays silent even though I've programmed in all the trimet talkgroups and their respective channels.
Try the R-Check channel on either the Portland or TriMet system, 1779.

Abqactive

Premium Subscriber
Try the R-Check channel on either the Portland or TriMet system, 1779.
That worked! I'm unsure though as to why both the trimet section of the Portland p25 phase 1 system and Trimet's own p25 phase 1 system have some identical channel IDs. I'm assuming this is some form of interoperability because the identical channels will transmit on both systems at the same exact time.

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
Interoperability and because before TriMet's current system existed, they only had one for bus calls with supervisors and MAX using the Portland system. There's some additional history at MAX FAQs

My system shows that a handful of Portland radios were last seen on a TriMet channel today; there may be others at other times: Portland radio affiliations I'd have to find some calls from those radios to find out who the users are but I'm guessing some might be transit police.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Premium Subscriber
That worked! I'm unsure though as to why both the trimet section of the Portland p25 phase 1 system and Trimet's own p25 phase 1 system have some identical channel IDs. I'm assuming this is some form of interoperability because the identical channels will transmit on both systems at the same exact time.
TriMet intentionally duplicated talkgroup IDs for the legacy talkgroups that migrated from the City's network to simplify record keeping (believe it or not). Links are still maintained between eight talkgroups (with another eight accessible for emergency use)

On the TriMet side you'll see the actual radio ID of the talker (unless it's a City radio and then it will either show up as a 2xx console ID or a 5xx console ID).