possible skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
picking up ems being dispatched on 39.98 and fire on 46.02 I live in the Tellico plains are of tn but they appear to talking about the same traffic at this time but I don't know where can some one help

N2AL

I am familiar with Tellico Plains as I've spent many years in Monroe County. What if it is NC such as Graham or Cherokee Counties? Or GA in Fannin County?

Are these frequencies VHF? Like 139.980 and 146.020 or 133.860?

Monroe County I've heard has had trouble with harmonics too.

bg_nashville

picking up ems being dispatched on 39.98 and fire on 46.02 I live in the Tellico plains are of tn but they appear to talking about the same traffic at this time but I don't know where can some one help

If conditions are right, it could be coming from hundreds of miles away. When I monitored that frequency range back in 1990s most of the communications in that frequency range would originate from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Even more fun in those days was TV skip. Getting a perfect signal from a Houston Texas station from 1,200 miles away blew my mind.

emcom

In the 90s, I could hear Kansas Highway Patrol KDD947 on low band 44.940 from here in Alabama when conditons were right. I also could hear California Highway Patrol on lowband. It was cool to hear traffic from that far away.

N2AL

Some of the best DX I have ever worked was Car 211 with California Highway Patrol! He was setting on the Golden Gate Bridge calling in traffic stops! I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee and thought it was my Sergeant. Long story short we had about a five minute QSO on 42.420 MHz! We were only a few of the state law enforcement agencies around the nation that still used low band at that time. We have since switched to the TACN Network.

When the bands are great the skip can be unbelievable!!

nashscan

Some of the best DX I have ever worked was Car 211 with California Highway Patrol! He was setting on the Golden Gate Bridge calling in traffic stops! I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee and thought it was my Sergeant. Long story short we had about a five minute QSO on 42.420 MHz! We were only a few of the state law enforcement agencies around the nation that still used low band at that time. We have since switched to the TACN Network.

When the bands are great the skip can be unbelievable!!

That's awesome!!! Were you an officer with Hamilton County or Chattanooga PD? I bet even being 2000 miles apart, you had a lot in common.

N2AL

That's awesome!!! Were you an officer with Hamilton County or Chattanooga PD? I bet even being 2000 miles apart, you had a lot in common.

I work for THP, and transferred to the Knoxville District in 2012, from Chattanooga. Yes being literally on the opposite sides of the United States we had a good long QSO! It was awesome!!!! Best skip ever!!!!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Back in about 1982, I was driving through Indiana with my Bearcat 210 connected to the AM/FM antenna of my company vehicle and while scanning the low band was receiving CHP stations quite well. All of a a sudden I was hearing all these California addresses. I was quite impressed. Another time, while tuning the military freqs, I was picking up what sounded like Nicaraguan's and heavy gunfire in the background.

N2AL

Back in about 1982, I was driving through Indiana with my Bearcat 210 connected to the AM/FM antenna of my company vehicle and while scanning the low band was receiving CHP stations quite well. All of a a sudden I was hearing all these California addresses. I was quite impressed. Another time, while tuning the military freqs, I was picking up what sounded like Nicaraguan's and heavy gunfire in the background.

That gun battle doesn't sound promising. I wonder what the incident was, and how turned out, although it's doubtful we would ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies.