Power problems with Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadetklapp

Well, I'm finally asking for advice. For a few months every so often, my scanner will be on a desktop or in the car and I'll realize I'm not hearing anything, because it's off. I have to shut the unit off, turn it back on. So today I'm sitting here and I realize it's just going on, off, on, off everytime I pick it up, like a loose connection. It's on the 9v vehicle plug which is plugged into a 4 amp power supply in my office. I finally get it back on and stays on, and it starts beeping and indicating "low battery!" but there are no batteries in it!

I figure I have a major power issue. Any ideas? Should I send it back to RS at this point or wait and see what it does?

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Loose connection

Go with your first impression of a loose connection. You might be able to wiggle things enough to figure it out.

kadetklapp

well, I've tried wiggling the plug and messing with the switch on the adapter, but I'm getting nothing. It doesn't react unless I set it down on the desk or something. It's odd. I don't recall if it does it with the batteries or not, I don't use them very often.

SLWilson

Programming?

Have you checked the setting on the low battery alert function? That "could" explain the beep.

However, I'd start by going to RS and getting a new tip for the power cord....Maybe even replacing the WHOLE power cord. Even what they make FOR the scanner doesn't (IMO) fir very well into the power socket....

Is there any way you can check to make sure your power supply isn't going to die on you?

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

kadetklapp

well, I'd hate to lay out another $20 on a vehicle adapter, but we will have to see. The cord isn't even a year old.

I use two different power supplies, one at work, one at home and the radio is doing this on both.

kadetklapp

Still having some issues. Yesterday I was listening to traffic, looked at the screen and it was blank. Sound was coming from the scanner, but NO display. Shut it off, turned it back on and returned to normal....

hoser147

I had a similar issue with mine it wasnt the scanner but where the wire came out of the power supply, as soon as I wiggled it, it would show low battery or go off and on. Worth checking out. Hoser

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Why not just toss in some new batteries and see what it does. That would help in narrowing things down a bit.

ind224

power plug

I use the new "C"(white) as a test fit with B did not work. I also run 12v contrary to what everyone has said for 4 years with no problems. Sure makes mobile use much easier.

Once I thought I was going to have to replace the female on the scanner but putting a dab of solder on the outer of male from the wart was much easier. Just trim to fit wih a razor blade.

A battery cover with tabs broken or a cracked tray will make poor contact issues, too.

jimdana1942

power problems

Try using the scanner with batteries only to see if the same problem occurs. If it does then I would send to RS for repair. If it doesn't occur with batteries then the either the power supply you are using, or the power cable or connector could be bad. I am somewhat concerned that with the low battery alert popping up (even with no batteries) that you have a problem on the circuit board that is intermittent. Hope this helps. Jim

N7YUO

My similar experience with Pro92, Pro93, Pro95: Lately the AC-DC supply cords have bad connections.
After plugging in with a "C" adapter, I have to tuck part of the cord under the belt clip to prevent it from moving and losing connection. All of my 12v-9v DC cords with "c" adapter work without a problem.
Previously, some scanners developed loose solder joints where the jack mounts to the pc board.
When I plug/unplug power several times a day, every day, the jacks sometimes get loose on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.