• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power Products APX battery 4800MAH review BP4486LIIC-48

mbnv992

Just picked up this from Wiscomm. A short APX Impres battery rated at 4800MAH. While it initially charged up at 4589MAH, I am VERY impressed with it. It fits to the radio MUCH better than my OEM Motorola battery’s ( they all leave a small gap in the frame where the battery latches on either side the radio and looks like crap ). The Power Products looks and fits perfect.
IMG_6435.jpeg

Fits my APX8000 perfectly and better than OEM. Very happy with this battery. It has more capacity than the larger Motorola APX batteries. It was expensive at $145 shipped but it’s twice the capacity of the OEM battery of the same size and it fits much better.

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thank you for sharing, went ahead and bought one myself. That huge extended hi-cap Moto battery is annoying to carry, I'll sit in the car and it'll pop out of the holster from hitting the seat..

mbnv992

Awesome, thank you for sharing, went ahead and bought one myself. That huge extended hi-cap Moto battery is annoying to carry, I'll sit in the car and it'll pop out of the holster from hitting the seat..
Glad to hear my review helped you out ! You won’t be disappointed with it. I had no clue aftermarket battery manufacturers make Impres batteries that actually has a working battery gauge like OEM batteries.
Thinking of getting some for my 5000’s too once my OEM Impres batteries start to crap out.

mbnv992

Might have jumped the gun on this Power Products battery. Used this battery for another shift to see how many days I could get out of it and it went from 2 bars / 40% / 1700MAH left to having the “low battery” alert flash and the chirping begin.

Took the battery off put it back on and it read 2 bars / 40% / 1700MAH then 5 seconds later - low battery alert.

Not very happy after spending $145 on this battery. I messaged Craig from Wiscom and he wanted me to give it another few weeks / charge cycles to see how the battery acts. I’ll keep everyone advised. If it keeps doing this I’m hoping I’ll get a full refund.

IMG_6442.jpeg

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
Oooo sht LOL thanks for the update, I uh- requested a refund on mine until I can confirm 100% it works good for you, seemed too good to be true lol..

Hope all works well with it

mbnv992

Oooo sht LOL thanks for the update, I uh- requested a refund on mine until I can confirm 100% it works good for you, seemed too good to be true lol..

Hope all works well with it
Sorry about recommending something without thoroughly testing it. I ASSumed that since it charged up great, battery meter read fine - that the battery would be good to go.

I tossed it on my Impress charger and I’ll try it again Monday and see if I can get it below 40%. Very disappointed so far in this Power Products battery. And if anyone asks - this radio never had an issue with OEM Motorola batteries as far as the battery meter goes. All my other batteries hits the “low battery” around 10-15% / goes to a red bar. So - this is definitely a battery issue.

I’ll report back here if the battery acts better after another charge cycle.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I've had oe moto batteries go funny like that but after a recalibration it fixed itself. I agree, let it do some cycles and recalibrate. I don't know how long its been since it was mfg'd but looks like the chip is not congruent, assuming nothing else I suspect so considering it didn't charge up to its rated capacity. Motorola has said under some conditions batteries may take a few cycles to recover

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I have approx. 8-9 Power Products Impress Lithium Batteries for my XTS3000/5000 series radios and I have had good success with them for the last couple years. My Impress batteries only get charged and recalibrated in my Impress Charger. They recalibrate approx. every 30-days. The charger showed the battery capacity at 115% when brand new and most of them still show the capacity at 115%. One shows 114%, one shows 113%, and one shows 112%. I hope they will give me good service like my Motorola Impress batteries.

I have one Motorola Impress Battery that is approx. 8 years old with a capacity of 107% and a battery that is 11 years old with a capacity of 94%.

Hopefully, everyone is charging and recalibrating their Impress batteries only in an Impress Charger unit in order to get a very long service life of your batteries.

mbnv992

Another update on this Power Products battery - it’s a complete POS. Tried to recondition it on my Impress charger 2 time times and every time I’d take it to work - same thing - at 40% left / 1700MAH - low battery keeps coming on. I messaged Craig from Wiscomm hoping for a full refund.

Definitely will be sticking with OEM Motorola batteries from here on out. Lesson learned.

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the update. Above your post, Kenny seemed to have a good experience with the ones he got for his XTS radios which is great! I just wish it was consistent with your experience.. Sticking to Moto is it.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is a great example of why so many reviews that are posted online should be taken with a grain of salt. You can't write an objective review 20 minutes after opening the package. Let it breathe for a while, get to know the product, get a true sense of its features and shortcomings, then tell us all about it. I knew exactly where this thread was heading as soon as I read the initial glowing post.

People bellyache about the high cost of OEM products, and yet time and time again it turns out that there's a reason why OEM is usually the best option. You get what you pay for.

mbnv992

This is a great example of why so many reviews that are posted online should be taken with a grain of salt. You can't write an objective review 20 minutes after opening the package. Let it breathe for a while, get to know the product, get a true sense of its features and shortcomings, then tell us all about it. I knew exactly where this thread was heading as soon as I read the initial glowing post.

People bellyache about the high cost of OEM products, and yet time and time again it turns out that there's a reason why OEM is usually the best option. You get what you pay for.
Oh 100% for sure.

Granted - the $145 I paid for the battery definitely isn’t cheap is it’s on par with the cost of an OEM Motorola battery. Figured I’d try a different vendor since they offered a much higher capacity battery in the smaller form factor. But - will absolutely not buy a Power Products battery again.

Granted - sure I got a defective one however - as this is my first Power Products battery - this has left a very bad taste for the manufacturer. I’ve never had an issue with OEM APX batteries so back to Motorola I go.

Craig from Wiscomm already sent me a return shipping label and he refunded me the cost of the battery ( minus the cost of return shipping ). So I’m only out $8 bucks or so. Of course - the OEM Motorola battery I want they don’t have in stock.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear about this. PP is not a flyby night outfit. I'll add at work we use/sell a lot of Power Products batteries and the Endura chargers with good luck. Endura makes chargers for a lot of OEM's. Their parent company also owns DuraComm, Newmar and a lot of other power related systems.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Did you happen to measure the voltage? only approx 3000mah then low voltage alert appears, bad cell? probably reads something like 5 volts

mbnv992

Sorry to hear about this. PP is not a flyby night outfit. I'll add at work we use/sell a lot of Power Products batteries and the Endura chargers with good luck. Endura makes chargers for a lot of OEM's. Their parent company also owns DuraComm, Newmar and a lot of other power related systems.
It’s all good. I’ve heard good reviews from Power Products so I was very disappointed that my first go-round with them was a negative experience.

Also - is this Jim N7MAQ from Batlabs ? If so - I’m MT_2000 Man from Batlabs and I bought a mint XTS5000R from you around 2009-2010. I still have that radio - and it’s still mint like when you gave it to me.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
It’s all good. I’ve heard good reviews from Power Products so I was very disappointed that my first go-round with them was a negative experience.

Also - is this Jim N7MAQ from Batlabs ? If so - I’m MT_2000 Man from Batlabs and I bought a mint XTS5000R from you around 2009-2010. I still have that radio - and it’s still mint like when you gave it to me.
That is me, glad to hear the 5000 is still going.