• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power Setting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
I have a question that I figured everyone here could most likely answer. I am getting ready to install a console as well as two radios and a scanner in my Silverado. The radios to be installed are a Yaesu 8800, a Motorola MCS 2000, and a Uniden BCT15X. My question is, what is the maximum power output I can run on the MCS without it causing havoc? "or blowing the front end of the other radios" The MCS is a VHF radio that is being used for business band only, not any ham frequencies. I have two NMO mounts in the roof spaced at 21 inches apart, one for the MCS and one for the 8800. The scanner antenna is down on the driver side fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

I wouldn't worry about the scanner on the fender. 21" is a reasonable distance, however, you will probably be subject to decense on the 8800 while transmitting with the MCS. Probably not a big deal.

What is the power output of the MCS? 100W?

W3AWF

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't worry about the scanner on the fender. 21" is a reasonable distance, however, you will probably be subject to decense on the 8800 while transmitting with the MCS. Probably not a big deal.

What is the power output of the MCS? 100W?

It is a 110 Watt radio however I can manually set the high and low transmit settings to whatever wattage I want in CPS. I don't mind desensing, that is just bound to happen. What I don't want to have happen is the power screw something up in the 8800.

"Interoperability is not a luxury, it is a necessity!"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd recommend turning the power down on the MCS-2000 to 75-80 watts at the most. We've done that with all our high power radios at work. They'll last longer and you won't notice the lack of power.

I'd agree, you'll get some desense on the radios. My wife's truck has a 45 watt VHF mobile, permanent NMO on the roof, and the AM/FM radio will lose the FM station when transmitting.

lmrtek

the only way to reduce interference is via antenna location and by installation of filters

a trunk or fender mounted antenna will have less interference with a roof mounted antenna

PAR makes filters for scanners and ham radios that can easily notch the high power vhf frequency down to a safe level

Status
Not open for further replies.