• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Power source in a Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

My friend monitors ATCS Monitor packets (railroad stuff) in his Toyota Corolla with a Motorola Maxtrac and ASUS laptop. Both feed into a splitter connected to the standard 12VDC receptacle. He's frustrated by the common problem found in foreign cars where the 12VDC power is lost when the ignition is turned off. Bottom line is he doesn't want to keep the car idling to keep his car battery charged and power the Maxtrac.

I suggested hardwiring the Maxtrac to the battery but he has cold feet...he's worried he will leave it on and drain the battery. I explained that American cars are already set up this way, but evidently I was unconvincing...

What would you suggest? I have one of those jumpstart batteries with a 12V receptacle on it. It is bulky and about 25 pounds and I don't remember if you can charge it from the car.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Low voltage battery disconnects

If he puts the ignition switch in the accessory position does the 12 volt outlet stay on? He can also try this:
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1910/.f

It monitors your battery and shuts off the device plugged into it if the battery voltage gets to low. They also make on that you attach to your battery and it disconnects the battery from the entire electrical system if the voltage gets to low. I can't find the web page. I have one on my vehicle and it saved me once or twice, but it does kill power to the whole vehicle including its on board computer. Just like disconnecting the battery.

ipfd320

Banned
i have a 2000 toyota corolla and yes the cig lighter does stay on when in the accessory position...but let it be known depending on how old the battery is in your car..with both the radio and laptop on the battery will drain down considerably fast when not running...a volt meter in line with the components used will help

jim202

If it's that important to run the radio and laptop with the engine off, has he considered adding a second automotive battery. Use a diode isolator so that both batteries charge with the engine running. However, the loads are not tied together and you can run all the extra stuff on the second battery.

It might take a heavier alternator in the vehicle to be able to handle the normal vehicle load and be able to charge up a drained battery. Have done this to a number of public safety vehicles, but not sure what the options are for a heavier alternator on this vehicle.

ipfd320

Banned
There is no room under the hood for a 2nd battery...unless he puts itin the trunk...then the cost for the cables front to back...it wouldn,t be worth it in my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.