Powering KG-UV9D directly from LiFePo4 battery?

va2fsh

Hi! Not an electric guru and I'd like to get someone wiser than me to give me "the nod" before I do something questionnable!

I want a way to power a Wouxun KG-UV9D+ portable radio using a 12V lifepo4 battery, but I'm not sure how to wire things to keep it clean looking.

I'm thinking of possibly getting a battery eliminator for the UV9D, cutting the cigarette lighter connector and installing ring connectors to hook-up to the battery directly (maybe add a fuse on the + wire to protect the radio?).

Could that work or am-I missing something?

David VA2FSH

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm thinking of possibly getting a battery eliminator for the UV9D, cutting the cigarette lighter connector and installing ring connectors to hook-up to the battery directly (maybe add a fuse on the + wire to protect the radio?).

That's what I'd do. Especially the fuse part.
But before I did that, I'd try plugging it into a cigarette lighter socket and make sure it's putting out 12 volts. In other words, make sure that the plug doesn't have a voltage converter in it. Or, will the UV9D be happy and have a long life being hit with 13 volts full time?

va2fsh

I just had another idea that might be simpler!

I did purchase a USB-C battery for my KG-UV9D+. The radio can operate while plugged in via USB-C. What if I used a USB to 12V (see https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0D1YLQYVZ/). Wouldn't that be even simpler? Even has the fuse already on the wires!

David VA2FSH

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I just had another idea that might be simpler!

I did purchase a USB-C battery for my KG-UV9D+. The radio can operate while plugged in via USB-C. What if I used a USB to 12V (see https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0D1YLQYVZ/). Wouldn't that be even simpler? Even has the fuse already on the wires!

David VA2FSH

I've found that chargers are designed for slow charging the batteries. Expecting them to charge the battery and operate the radio, even in RX only mode, results in the battery not getting charged properly and eventually failing. I teach our end users to not leave radios turned on when sitting in desktop chargers.

va2fsh

Ah ok, so the best way to do this would be through the battery eliminator then. I'll try to see if I can get some voltage mesurements. THanks!