Powering Phone While RTL-SDR Attached?

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a accessory that will accept OTG usb-c and provide power to the phone to keep the RTL-SDR from draining the battery. I have no idea what it would be and I hope Walmart has it.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Unsure if this will work, typically in the past I've had problems with the phone charging since the OTG input will either let you charge the phone, or use it for files/data, but not both at the same time. But, I haven't tried it in the past year or so. That said, if it works, you will need something like this;

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Unsure if this will work, typically in the past I've had problems with the phone charging since the OTG input will either let you charge the phone, or use it for files/data, but not both at the same time. But, I haven't tried it in the past year or so. That said, if it works, you will need something like this;

then it should be a powered hub? Walmart in-store stock has none. No aisle on it.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't really have to charge the phone. Just provide the 4.8 volts to the RTL-SDR so the phone won't need to provide power to the RTL-SDR. Lighten the load on the current. Also, I am not so sure the usb traces in the phone can handle the load the RTL-SDR will put on it. Very tiny inside.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Not accurate except being usb-c 2.0 because I tested with these usb 3.0 cables with success. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS8SRWH/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image?th=1

Actual model number:
Motorola XT2317DL

Okay, so what is the point of the post if those work with your Moto G Stylus phone? Please read the description, it says they work with Samsung and LG phones that have Thunderbolt 3.0 connectors, the Moto G has a 2.0 USB C connector. But, great, if they work for you have fun I'm glad you answered your question and found something. As for my Moto G 5G Stylus 2023 phone, those type of Thunderbolt cables do not work.

Screenshot_20240107-160921.png

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so what is the point of the post if those work with your Moto G Stylus phone? Please read the description, it says they work with Samsung and LG phones that have Thunderbolt 3.0 connectors, the Moto G has a 2.0 USB C connector. But, great, if they work for you have fun I'm glad you answered your question and found something. As for my Moto G 5G Stylus 2023 phone, those type of Thunderbolt cables do not work.
That was not the question. I asked about an accessory to allow power to the phone while rtl-sdr is connected. You answered it in post 2 anyway.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is what I answered. USB C 2.0, which our phone has, will not support that.
Both almost the same phone. Mine 4G yours 5G. Mine's may be a fluke. I don't know. It sure worked well with the JSAUX OTG usb-c 3..0 cable.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Both almost the same phone. Mine 4G yours 5G. Mine's may be a fluke. I don't know. It sure worked well with the JSAUX OTG usb-c 3..0 cable.

Great, glad to hear it, so I'm missing the point of what you are asking if that cable allowed you to both power the phone and use a SDR at the same time.

But, you apparently found something that works so I'm done here.