Preowned Scanner, Old Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentraco

I just took delivery of a PSR 600 that's programmed with frequencies in another part of the country.

Is there a function that will clear the unwanted frequencies from the unit globally, or is one-by-one deletion the only means of doing so? So far, I haven't found anything in the manual that answers my question. I did empty the V-Scanner folders.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn the scanner off. Turn the scanner on. At the welcome screen, press and release 0 and then press and release 1. That will clear the working memory and reset all of the global settings to factory defaults. In your manual, look for Power-On Configuration Key Sequences. That is what it is under in my Pro-197 scanner manual which is essentially identical to your PSR600.

Last edited:

kentraco

Thanks for your help. I'll do that tomorrow. I had considered the "nuclear option" of initializing the scanner, but the statement "V-Scanner memory is not affected when the scanner is initialized" in the manual led me to believe erroneously that programmed frequencies would remain as they were.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. I'll do that tomorrow. I had considered the "nuclear option" of initializing the scanner, but the statement "V-Scanner memory is not affected when the scanner is initialized" in the manual led me to believe erroneously that programmed frequencies would remain as they were.
If you are going to use software to program your new-to-you scanner, loading your own programming file will wipe out any of the out of state information.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It looks like Volusia Co is going to a new P25 phase 2 system which the PSR600 will not be able to receive. The present fire and sheriff dispatch talkgroups are operating in phase 1 mode. Some phase 2 systems continue to operate in phase 1 mode.. A number only have fire in phase 1. You will be out of luck with anything in TDMA (phase 2) mode.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Volusia Co will probably take a while to migrate from the present EDACS system. How did you make out erasing the memory? Do you have any programming software?

kentraco

How did you make out erasing the memory? Do you have any programming software?

The memory's cleared. My used scanner didn't come with a programming cable, so I've ordered one. I'll get it Friday. And yes...I do have the software.

kentraco

That's a new one for me. I have never heard of that one before. I use Butel ARC500.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Volusia Co system is an EDACS standard system, also known as EDACS wide. The frequencies have to be entered in order of the LCN (logical channel number). I have never programmed a multi-site EDACS system. Since the frequencies have to match the LCN, I would think that you would have to set up 3 separate systems, each with the same set of scan lists assigned to a different system. If anyone else out there has more experience with this, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
It looks like Volusia Co is going to a new P25 phase 2 system which the PSR600 will not be able to receive. The present fire and sheriff dispatch talkgroups are operating in phase 1 mode. Some phase 2 systems continue to operate in phase 1 mode.. A number only have fire in phase 1. You will be out of luck with anything in TDMA (phase 2) mode.

For clarity, a phase 2 system with a phase 1 radio affiliated to it, will use phase 1 on the talkgroup that radio has selected. (I do not know if the system administrator can control this, to exclude phase 1 radios, or if it is inherent in the protocol.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Scan Control isn't new - quite the opposite. It's still around but don't expect any software fixes, as there hasn't been any in many years now. It pretty much ceased being supported shortly after the original PSR500/600 scanners came out. I don't believe the RR import or EZ Grab functions will work anymore as the database has changed a lot since this software came out.

The standards for these scanners are ARC500, PSREdit500 and Win500. Unfortunately Don Starr (author of Win500) hasn't been heard from in a long time and may be gone. You can find links here;

Mike

kentraco

Scan Control isn't new - quite the opposite. It's still around but don't expect any software fixes, as there hasn't been any in many years now. It pretty much ceased being supported shortly after the original PSR500/600 scanners came out. I don't believe the RR import or EZ Grab functions will work anymore as the database has changed a lot since this software came out.

That may have some bearing upon a vexing problem I've encountered. Their web site shows a very simple cut-and-paste procedure for entering trunking data from radioreference.com into the ScanControl software. The interface for my PSR-600 doesn't look like the ones on the scanners used in their video demonstrations, and I haven't found any "edit" function on it that responds to the "paste" command.

It's such a simple problem that I would have been embarrassed to post it here, but ScanControl support has no solution. They tried to attribute it to the browser I'm using (Vivaldi), but I fail to see how the inability to "paste" into their program could be browser-related.

If this can't be resolved, I'll simply switch to other programming software. ScanControl is relatively inexpensive, so it would be no great loss..

Attachments

• ScanControl.jpg
    ScanControl.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 12

kentraco

Standard Windows shortcuts: Ctrl c - Copy........Ctrl x - Cut........Ctrl v - Paste........Ctrl z - Undo.

Nope. That doesn't work.

I just downloaded the demo of Butel ARC500 and had no problem cutting and pasting the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.