Preparing for a trip.

Stavro35

I’m in the planning stages of a trip to the Bay Area. Which of the following radios should I take? Whistler TRX 1 Uniden SDS 100, BCD 436 HP.

There are lots of counties that cover the Bay Area. Should I program all of them?

What non public safety frequencies should I program?

What about military aviation common frequencies ? Fleet week!?

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Every county touching the Bay except Napa and Sonoma have trunked systems. All are P25 simulcast except Marin County which is still Motorola. I'd say the SDS100 would be the best bet for the public safety side.

For Napa and Sonoma, the SDS100 will work for their analog conventional systems, although in my experience analog sounds/receieves better on the BCD436HP versus the SDS100.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
When I travel I just program the systems that are active where I'm staying. You'll go nuts listening to all Bay Area counties. Also, most Santa Clara County LE agencies are encrypted. Cal Fire will be active for several more months. CHP is low band and always good to have programmed. NORAD freqs are sometimes active with training off the coast, usually M-F. SFO Tower 120.5 can be entertaining.

Eng74

Where will you be at in the Bay Area? There are three trunked systems (public safety) for the area, San Francisco, EBRCS, and SVRCS. I use the SDS-100 most of the time I am in the area but also have the 436HP also.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 will pick up everything the other two will and more. I wouldn't even consider the others.