Pro-106, Win500 -- Not connecting and stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamtiger

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

Think this is my first post here. Got a Pro-106, Radio Shack programming cable and Win500. Running Vista. I've tried everything I know to get the two talking. Loaded the drivers from the CD first (v2.6.0.0 I believe), nothing, so I tried downloading new certified drivers (v2.08.02) from FTDI, but I can't seem to install them -- I tried to "Add New Hardware" and point it to the two .inf files (ftdibus.inf and ftdiport.inf) and it won't show a device when I select either of those files, so they're not helping. And there's no self-installer with the FTDI downloads that I can find.

Upload to Scanner yields: "Failed, no response from scanner."

I try to Download from Scanner and it says "timed out waiting for 67452 data bytes, received 0."

Sometimes it knocks the scanner out of upgrade mode and resets it.

I've tried both the standard Win500.exe and Win500_COM.exe. I'm not totally sure what the difference is, but I've defined the COM port as COM 5 in the Win500_COM. Tried "Find Serial Port" and get "No PSR-500/600 was found."

Also tried all this in Mint and Ubuntu using WINE for kicks. Program works fine but can't figure out how to get it talking to the cable.

Getting a little frustrated here -- read other threads and tried whatever I found there to no avail. Could anyone offer some pointers please? Thanks very much!

ETA: I'm putting the scanner in program mode by holding PGM and turning on power. Hopefully that's correct. Not using the short mono cable adapter either. BootVer 1.2, App Ver 1.8. Also, the inline PCB on the cable used to flicker a green LED, but not anymore.

I'm also trying the trial version of Arc500 that came with the cable but when I Download From Scanner there, it just sits there and I never see anything on the progress meter, even after about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

JonL008

Premium Subscriber
What PC/IF cable are you using to try and connect you scanner?

Also, I would recomend unistalling all of the drivers you tried to install for it and then go to the link below and download the driver. I have a computer I just did this on and it worked fine with the 20-546 Radioshack cable (the newest one), but I dont see why it wouldnt work with the old one.

This link is also for vista and a bunch of other OS's

Driver Link: GRE 30-3290 USB PC/IF Driver - Windows 7 - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Hope this helps,

Jon

hamtiger

Premium Subscriber
What PC/IF cable are you using to try and connect you scanner?

Also, I would recomend unistalling all of the drivers you tried to install for it and then go to the link below and download the driver. I have a computer I just did this on and it worked fine with the 20-546 Radioshack cable (the newest one), but I dont see why it wouldnt work with the old one.

This link is also for vista and a bunch of other OS's

Driver Link: GRE 30-3290 USB PC/IF Driver - Windows 7 - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Hope this helps,

Jon

Thanks Jon. Cable is the 20-546. I'm downloading your driver link now and will report back.

al95

Turn on your scanner but while doing so don't press any buttons let it scan as it does normal. Do not put it into program mode. Now while radio is scanning connect your cable to the radio. Now try to download from scanner and is if it works. If you you get an error in your first try tried again. Let us know if this helped you.

hamtiger

Premium Subscriber
Turn on your scanner but while doing so don't press any buttons let it scan as it does normal. Do not put it into program mode. Now while radio is scanning connect your cable to the radio. Now try to download from scanner and is if it works. If you you get an error in your first try tried again. Let us know if this helped you.

Holy COW. I actually discovered this by accident about 5 minutes before finding this reply. Unbelievable how complicated I was making this. No wonder they didn't make mention of how to put the radio into PC programming mode -- just turn the darn thing on! Wow, I'm up and running and not looking back.

Thanks to all who took time to help out in this thread though!

al95

Holy COW. I actually discovered this by accident about 5 minutes before finding this reply. Unbelievable how complicated I was making this. No wonder they didn't make mention of how to put the radio into PC programming mode -- just turn the darn thing on! Wow, I'm up and running and not looking back.

Thanks to all who took time to help out in this thread though!

Glad to hear everything is working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.