Pro-106 Won't Remember settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I have a Pro-106 and am in Baltimore County, Maryland.

They recently switched to a P25 system and I used RR to D/L the database iknto my scanner.

In order to just listen to the Specifric Police Precincts ID's where I live and work, when an unwanted Talkgroup/ID comes up, I hit the L/OUT key to keep the scanner from stopping on that ID since it's not what I want to hear.

It works fine.... but if I turn the scanner off... and turn it back on... it has forgotten that I had locked out those ID's.

How do I make it remember any of the changes and settings I did ?

Thanks for any help.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi. I have a Pro-106 and am in Baltimore County, Maryland.

They recently switched to a P25 system and I used RR to D/L the database iknto my scanner.

In order to just listen to the Specifric Police Precincts ID's where I live and work, when an unwanted Talkgroup/ID comes up, I hit the L/OUT key to keep the scanner from stopping on that ID since it's not what I want to hear.

It works fine.... but if I turn the scanner off... and turn it back on... it has forgotten that I had locked out those ID's.

How do I make it remember any of the changes and settings I did ?

Thanks for any help.

Pressing the lockout button while you are scanning is a "Temporary" lockout.

They are supposed to unlock again when you turn off the scanner and turn it on again.

Check here under Temporary/Permanent Lockout in the right column:

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

pratzert

Premium Subscriber

840quadra

Pressing the lockout button while you are scanning is a "Temporary" lockout.

They are supposed to unlock again when you turn off the scanner and turn it on again.

Check here under Temporary/Permanent Lockout in the right column:

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Thanks for that link and info.

I found the owners manual easy enough to follow on it's own, but I like the level of detail that was put into this site.

mariefrench

Pratzert...I also live in Balto. Co. What exactly did you have to do in order to hear anything with the new system. I am clueless on what I need to do. Do I have to buy some type of cord to download stuff from my computer or is there something new that I have to TRY to program into the scanner? I can not hear anything now on my scanner since the new system started. Thank you in advance for any replies. (or step by step instructions) lol : )

themadman364

Thank you for that info fxdscon.

It was/is driving me crazy. I'll read up on that section and save my fingers !

Tim

Hitting lockout is only temporary. If you hit Function then lockout it's permanent. Unless you go into global settings and reverse the setting, then the opposite happens.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hitting lockout is only temporary. If you hit Function then lockout it's permanent. Unless you go into global settings and reverse the setting, then the opposite happens.

Yes... a little reading on my part will go a long way.....

I gotta figure out how to do this lock-out thing using either ARC500, Win500, or PSREDIT.

It's got to be much easier to do it on a computer screen and send the setting to the scanner.

My head is still spinning trying to learn about this Object Oriented scanner ( Pro-106).

I have to re-learn everything I know about programmig a scanner.

Thanks, Tim

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Pratzert...I also live in Balto. Co. What exactly did you have to do in order to hear anything with the new system. I am clueless on what I need to do. Do I have to buy some type of cord to download stuff from my computer or is there something new that I have to TRY to program into the scanner? I can not hear anything now on my scanner since the new system started. Thank you in advance for any replies. (or step by step instructions) lol : )

mariefrench,

Not sure what scanner you have... so it's possible that your scanner will not be able to pick the new system.

I have a Pro-106 and it is currently the top of the line for RS and it is barely picking up the new system.

Start by reading this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma.../219410-new-baltimore-county-p-25-system.html

You may have to invest in the programming cable and the software (Like Win500) in order to download the necessary frequencies and settings etc for the new system that Balt. Cnty just started using.

Once you read thru that thread, you'll see that people much smarter than me can't receive the new system.

I believe it's mostly a matter of the equipment we hobbyists have is not designed and tweaked to pick up this type of system. So you are not the only one who can't hear it.

Maybe the scanner makers will provide fixes, or we might have to buy new scanners.. or we may never be able to really listen like we used to.

You'd do well to do a bunch of searches on the forum and ask questions... but this new system has just been put into use and it's going to be a work in progess to discover if we can listen in.

Good Luck.

mariefrench

Finally programmed! I think

I finally bought the programming USB cable. I believe I programmed it correctly, using the ARC500.(i think). There were some video tutorials on there that really helped me understand what I was suppose to do. Of course I don't know if everything is working yet because I'm in PA right now (about 15 miles over the line) and am not able to pick up a good signal. I did hear a few fire/medic dispatch calls. I can't wait to be in a better spot to see if I successfully programmed my scanner! I really appreciate all the help from everyone that answered my questions.
Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

DickH

... You may have to invest in the programming cable and the software (Like Win500) in order to download the necessary frequencies and settings etc for the new system that Balt. Cnty just started using. ...

What? There are only 2 sites; one with 5 freqs. and one with 4 freqs. It should be a simple matter to enter those freqs., choose the Talk Groups you want, and enter them.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
What? There are only 2 sites; one with 5 freqs. and one with 4 freqs. It should be a simple matter to enter those freqs., choose the Talk Groups you want, and enter them.

Hi DickH.

It may be a simple matter for you or someone who has the knowledge and experience.

If you read her post... she states that " she is clueless".. ergo... not a simple matter.

I have been enjoying the hobby and scanners for more than 40 years, and I find it intimidating to program the Pro-106 by hand.

Even if someone wanted to create the necessary file for her scanner and send it to her, she is still going to need the cable and software to load it.

I'm not suggesting the anyone spend money just for the sake of it... but in the long run, I think it's a wise investment to help her enjoy listening now and in the future.

Regards, Tim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.