PRO-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeboatnut

Before I run out and purchase a new scanner after my County (Ottawa County MI) transitions to a simulcast system, I would like to see how my PRO-106 will function on this system. Doing so will require reprogramming, I have not done any programming with this scanner in years. What software would be best that is compatible with Windows 10? Also where would be a good place to purchase a programming cable? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank You.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
i use Butel's ARC500 Pro version on a Win10 laptop to program my 106. no issues. as for the cable, a google search may help but it's likely ebay will be your best shot. shop carefully there. good luck.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I second the recommendation of the ARC 500 software though the basic version ($30 less) will suffice unless you want logging capabilities. The cable can be found for $20 or so. The Whistler branded version will be the same as Radioshack and GRE branded versions are now discontinued.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I agree with you that spending $50 or so to see if you are gonna be one of the lucky ones that can use a non-sds scanner on a simulcast system is worth a shot before shelling out $600 or more. It will all depend if you are sitting in one of the so-called "sweet spots" where users get good reception. If not, your Pro-106 can still fetch $150 to $200 on ebay or the classifieds here and will be more attractive to buyers if paired with the cable and software. Good Luck.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You have 3 choices for software: ARC500, WIN500, and PSREdit500. All have a free trial period. I use Butel ARC500 also. I have a ARC500 file for Ottawa Co. I see that some of the talkgroups have changed. Once I update them, I will be happy to share the file with you.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
I second the recommendation of the ARC 500 software though the basic version ($30 less) will suffice unless you want logging capabilities. The cable can be found for $20 or so. The Whistler branded version will be the same as Radioshack and GRE branded versions are now discontinued.
i completely forgot about the Whistler cables. a much, much better choice than ebay.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the ARC500 programming file for Ottawa Co. Once you download and install ARC500, save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500. You will be able to see how the software is programmed while awaiting your cable. When you receive the cable, you will need to install the driver. Once that is done, go to the Scanner tab in ARC500 and Upload to Scanner. Scan lists as follows:
1. OC Interop
2. Ottawa Co Fire
3. Ottawa Co Law
4. OC EMS/Hospital
5. MI State Police

I just found that there are a bunch of EMS/Hospital talkgroups up dated. I am going to update the talkgroups and post the file again when completed. The scan lists will remain the same.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I use ARC500 and have very good luck with the Washtenaw simulcast system with my 106 using the stock antenna. It is not as good as my newer radios, but fine for general listening. I have come to believe that it boils down to location more than any radio setting.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the updated file. Once you download and install ARC500, save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500. You will be able to see how the software is programmed while awaiting your cable. When you receive the cable, you will need to install the driver. Once that is done, go to the Scanner tab in ARC500 and Upload to Scanner. Scan lists as follows:
1. OC Interop
2. Ottawa Co Fire
3. Ottawa Co Law
4. OC EMS/Hospital
5. MI State Police

Attachments

• Ottawa Co MI.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

lakeboatnut

Thank you very much for all of your replies, I appreciate all the help that I can get a special thank you to tvengr for the files. One further question I was looking at the ARC500 and noticed Basic and Pro versions. What are the added features in the Pro version? Is it worth the extra money?

tvengr

Well Known Member
ARC500 Basic is all you need to program your scanner. The Pro version offers logging and some other features but I have found that the Basic version does everything I want to do. Here is the newly updated file as of 4/10:

Attachments

• Ottawa Co MI.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.