pro 164 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I bought a pro 164 a few months ago. I have all the frequencies for my area(at least I think I do)but the problem I am having is I can't seem to lock out a few talk groups that I don't want to hear. I have entered all of the tgid's that I want to hear and that is all. I then tried closing the bank but the 2 I don't want to hear still come through. The id numbers for these 2 are not entered into the id bank but they still broadcast through and I cannot figure out how to get these out. They come through whether I have it set to MO or FM.

Can anyone advise me as to what I am doing wrong. I am in Sheboygan county if that make a difference.

Thank yoy for any help you can give me.

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
Well I read through most of the link that was provided and I still haven't figured out the problem. I even tried entering the id's in for the 2 I don't want to hear and then I locked those frequencies out then locked the bank I they still come through. I'm really not sure what else to try. When I have the mode set to MO it the broadcasts don't come through unless I manual go to the channel. Is this normal? When I am scanning it should be on FM correct? I think I have tried ever possible way of locking them out and I can't think of anything I could be doing wrong. While they are talking when I have it in MO the tags will change as well. Sometimes it even changes to the PD id's and so on. Is this normal as well?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Last edited:

ltjweiss

it has to be on the MO mode for motorola if the trunked radio system is motorola. in the link i provided for you, i think what you are looking for is under: Scanning and Trunking Banks then either: Turning ID Scan Lists On and Off or Locking/Unlocking IDs

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
Sheboygan county is a motorola type II the way it looks to me. I read through that I part but maybe I missed something so I will check again. When I have the mode set to MO I can't hear the broadcasts unless I manual go through the channels. Then I can hear them.

Thanks again!!!

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
Here is how I programmed it. Maybe someone can tell if I did it wrong. I have 4 freq. programmed in bank 000,001,002,003 I think they are only using 4 freq right now. I then went to manual, prg and then trunk so I could enter in the tgid's. I entered in all of the id's that I want to hear. They are 0-25 I believe in the id's part. I wasn't sure what I all wanted to listen too or how much they used some of these id's so I wanted to try them out. I then locked the band. When I scanned again I was still picking up the bus service and the highway dept. I don't want to listen to them because they are constantly talking and I have a hard time listening to the stuff I want to hear. None of the tgid's these 2 use are entered in but I still pick them up. The freq. channels I tried setting to MO but when I scan the broadcast doesn't come through. If I manual go through the 4 channels then I can hear them talking. If I put it to FM I can scan and hear them but still get the 2 I don't want to hear.

I then tried entering in the tgid's that I didn't want to hear and locking them out hoping that would fix it but still the same thing. I must have something messed up if I can't hear the channels programmed when it's in MO mode. Not sure what else to try though.

I guess I should just go and get the program cable and get the software. Maybe that will take care of my problems. I wanted to do it manually to learn the scanner. I am not new to scanners but the trunking ones are new to me. Where I use to live it didn't have a need for a trunking scanner.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 Trunking Programming

I have 4 freq. programmed in bank 000,001,002,003 I think they are only using 4 freq right now.
Each of those 4 frequencies should be set to MO mode.

They are 0-25 I believe in the id's part.
The scanner holds 150 TGs per bank. They are organized in 5 sub groups of 30 TG IDs. Each of the 5 subgroups can be toggled on and off. So, it sounds like you are only programming 0-0-00 to 0-0-29 for now (bank-subgroup-id#). Turn off the other subgroups or make sure there is nothing programmed in them. To get to the next subgroup, press T while in the viewer/editor. To toggle a subgroup on/off, press FUNC 1.

I then locked the band.
Yes. It is essential to CLOSE the BANK. FUNC . toggles a bank open/closed.

None of the tgid's these 2 use are entered in but I still pick them up.
Have you checked ALL 150 TG positions to make sure they are not in there somewhere?

The freq. channels I tried setting to MO but when I scan the broadcast doesn't come through. If I manual go through the 4 channels then I can hear them talking. If I put it to FM I can scan and hear them but still get the 2 I don't want to hear.
It WILL NOT WORK THIS WAY!!!! You MUST program the active control channel frequency. It MUST be set to MO. You MUST "scan" that frequency, even if it is the only frequency programmed, for the scanner to work correctly. You will ALWAYS be able to hear stuff in FM mode or MAN mode.

I guess I should just go and get the program cable and get the software. Maybe that will take care of my problems. I wanted to do it manually to learn the scanner. I am not new to scanners but the trunking ones are new to me. Where I use to live it didn't have a need for a trunking scanner.
Find the frequency that has the buzzsaw sound. Program it in. Set it to MO. In MAN mode, stopped on that frequency, you should see "MOT:Control 99%" on the 4th line (or some percentage of how well the data is being decoded). It does not matter which means you use to program it, if you don't do it the correct way, it won't work correctly. Good Luck.

bubbamark

Premium Subscriber
I was just messing with it again and think I got it when my blackberry said you replied. I was locking out the control channel. I now unlocked it and put it in MO mode then switched the other channels to MO and now the T is flashing like it should and it appears to be working correctly. Hopefully I got it now:) Don't know why I orginially locked out the control channel. It all makes sense as to why it wasn't working correctly!

Thank you all for the help. It's much appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.