PRO 164 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmullins42491

I've been trying to get this scanner to work for about two days now and i keep getting bits and pieces of conversations. I've programmed all of the frequencies, and all of the talkgroup ids into this thing. I've put in all of the alpha tags(not required i know) and done everything i can think of to get it to trunk scan and it still wont. My previus scanner was a pro-528 and i could lock onto just talk groups. is this possible at all with the 164? can someone please help me with this or do i just have an expensive paper weight?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I've been trying to get this scanner to work for about two days now and i keep getting bits and pieces of conversations. I've programmed all of the frequencies, and all of the talkgroup ids into this thing. I've put in all of the alpha tags(not required i know) and done everything i can think of to get it to trunk scan and it still wont. My previus scanner was a pro-528 and i could lock onto just talk groups. is this possible at all with the 164? can someone please help me with this or do i just have an expensive paper weight?

What system are you trying to program?

Who are you trying to listen to on that system?

jmullins42491

And that's in Florida. On the map of fl is on the west coast. It's the little peninsula that touches Tampa almost centered on the west coast

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Pinellas county public safety/ the SO tarpon springs and all fire
Is this the system you're trying to scan?
Pinellas County Public Services Trunking System, Pinellas County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

That is a rebanded system. More on rebanding can be found here.
While the Pro-164 will handle a rebanded system, it's not quite as straight forward as entering the frequencies and talkgroups.

First, your scanner must be at firmware version 1.06 or higher (I believe the current version is 1.08). Second, you must set the system (in the scanner) to use the custom tables required for rebanded systems. For your model scanner, that can only be done via software like ARC300, PSREdit300, or Win97. That also requires the pc interface cable to connect the scanner to the pc. More on how to check the firmware, and also the software entries required, can be found in the Wiki.

Also, note that the Pinellas system is labeled as 'mixed mode', so some talkgroups are analog (labeled with an "A"), which your 164 will receive. But there are a few labeled with a D (for Digital) in the "Mode" column. Those digital talkgroups cannot be monitored by your scanner. A large number of the talkgroups are not noted either way. Somebody in the Florida Forum may have better information on how many, if any, of those might be digital as well.

jmullins42491

Is this the system you're trying to scan?
Pinellas County Public Services Trunking System, Pinellas County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

That is a rebanded system. More on rebanding can be found here.
While the Pro-164 will handle a rebanded system, it's not quite as straight forward as entering the frequencies and talkgroups.

First, your scanner must be at firmware version 1.06 or higher (I believe the current version is 1.08). Second, you must set the system (in the scanner) to use the custom tables required for rebanded systems. For your model scanner, that can only be done via software like ARC300, PSREdit300, or Win97. That also requires the pc interface cable to connect the scanner to the pc. More on how to check the firmware, and also the software entries required, can be found in the Wiki.

Also, note that the Pinellas system is labeled as 'mixed mode', so some talkgroups are analog (labeled with an "A"), which your 164 will receive. But there are a few labeled with a D (for Digital) in the "Mode" column. Those digital talkgroups cannot be monitored by your scanner. A large number of the talkgroups are not noted either way. Somebody in the Florida Forum may have better information on how many, if any, of those might be digital as well.

I've already updated the firmware although i did not notice the A's for analog. i'm starting to think that the ones i'd like to listen are digital its just frustrating. i can pick up the conversation on regular scanning I'm just having trouble getting it to trunk, and if it does trunk I can't select a talk group or even see what talk group its on.

jmullins42491

i already updated the firmware in it. i've also set the rebounded frequencies option in arc 300. i know people that have trunking scanner that still work in the area and have told me the county hasn't switched over the public safety to digital. i can get the first half of a conversation or something a full conversation but the talk groups won't come up and theres no way i can figure out how to lock onto talk groups. also i can't even tell if its trunking or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.