PRO 164 Program Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4TOM

I have a pro164 and really like it. Only problem is that I downloaded StarSoft WIN97 and began to play with the scanner and program. I messed that sucker up something awful! I have managed to resurrect it to some semblance of useability, but it is not right yet!! I do not knoiw how to break my list of frequencies down to groups - but the scanner is scanning them as it should. I think what I really want to do is to return the scanner to 'factory issue'. If I get the memory and frequencies back to the way it came from the factory, I would now have the competency/experience to program it the way I want it. I cannot reach Radio Shack on the phone!! It puts me on hold and then breaks the connection. I have contacted a souple of stores locally and no one seems to know how I send it back for reproigramming, the cost, etc. I understand that during the holidays, most help is temporary and not really up to speed on how things work. Does anyone know how I can get this scanner back to Radio Shack - ask them toi reprogram it, how much it will cost??
Any Help Appreciated!!!!!
JustTom@cox.net

p1scotty

To initialize the scanner:
1. Turn off the scanner, then turn it on again.
“Multi-system Trunking Scanner”
appears.
2. While “Multi-system Trunking
Scanner” appears, press 0.
3. Press 1.
4. Press ENT. “Initializing please
stand by” appears for about 5 seconds.
When the initialization is complete, M000
appears on the second line of the display.
“Bank 0 Ch 00” appears.
Note: Do not turn off the scanner until
the initialization is complete.

KC4TOM

P1Scoitty,
Are you saying that if I initialize the scanner as you suggested, that all factory settings will be re-set?
Not sure about that - because I downloaded the scanner to WIN97, made some changes. Then I forgot to save the file before I uploaded back to the scanner from WIN97!! I initialized the scanner a couple of times, but it does not return it to original factory settings. What to do????
KK4EUO

DickH

P1Scoitty,
Are you saying that if I initialize the scanner as you suggested, that all factory settings will be re-set?
Not sure about that - because I downloaded the scanner to WIN97, made some changes. Then I forgot to save the file before I uploaded back to the scanner from WIN97!! I initialized the scanner a couple of times, but it does not return it to original factory settings. What to do????
KK4EUO

Whoa. Let's back up a little. Did RS program it for you originally? If so, those are NOT the original factory settings.
To program it, find the system you want in the database and enter the data via the program.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a pro164 and really like it. Only problem is that I downloaded StarSoft WIN97 and began to play with the scanner and program. I messed that sucker up something awful! I have managed to resurrect it to some semblance of useability, but it is not right yet!! I do not knoiw how to break my list of frequencies down to groups - but the scanner is scanning them as it should. I think what I really want to do is to return the scanner to 'factory issue'. If I get the memory and frequencies back to the way it came from the factory, I would now have the competency/experience to program it the way I want it. I cannot reach Radio Shack on the phone!! It puts me on hold and then breaks the connection. I have contacted a souple of stores locally and no one seems to know how I send it back for reproigramming, the cost, etc. I understand that during the holidays, most help is temporary and not really up to speed on how things work. Does anyone know how I can get this scanner back to Radio Shack - ask them toi reprogram it, how much it will cost??
JustTom@cox.net

Check here:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2000164_AD_EN.pdf

N1BHH

It's pretty simple to program using Win97, just put frequencies and tones in, if they are trunk systems, put them in the proper mode. You can't really screw up something so simple when it's laid out before you. You have got to get your anger under control, it's Christmas time after all, chill out. ;)

What you need to do is arrange the frequencies whichever way you want, aviation in one bank, county fire in another, county police in another etc. LTR is special, just follow the proper LCN, with Motorola systems you just need control channels. And only one type of trunk system per bank.

Reverting to factor original frequencies only gives you general frequencies which may not be used in your area at all.

So chill out and enjoy Christmas and your radio fun. :)

N8IAA

JustTom@cox.net

Tom, first things first, your county has gone to conventional P-25 digital. Your 164 is not acting up. It just is not decoding the digital signal because it is an analog scanner. I would take it back to RS and get either the 106 or 197. That way you will be able to monitor Escambia county. And, PLEASE don't let RS program your scanner!!!
HTH,
Larry

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Tom, first things first, your county has gone to conventional P-25 digital. Your 164 is not acting up. It just is not decoding the digital signal because it is an analog scanner. I would take it back to RS and get either the 106 or 197. That way you will be able to monitor Escambia county. And, PLEASE don't let RS program your scanner!!!
HTH,
Larry

I would go with the Pro-18, 100 scan lists, on board RR database and can be programed with out a computer. No extra cables to buy and no programing software to buy.

N8IAA

Now Larry, there are some of us Radio Shack sales people that can program scanners really good.

Sorry, Doug. You are the exception:) What I don't like about the Pro-18, is that it is the 'redheaded stepchild' compared to the PSR-800, (meaning it lacks many of the features). I haven't even begun to use that scanner to it's capacity.
Larry

N8IAA

I would go with the Pro-18, 100 scan lists, on board RR database and can be programed with out a computer. No extra cables to buy and no programing software to buy.

But, you do need the computer to update the firmware, update the RR database, and upload the database to the SD card. True enough about the lack of programming cable and buying the software for the 106. Then there is the PSR-500 which comes with everything but the software.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.