Pro 164 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockhound

I have a new Pro-164 that I am programming w/ Don Starr's Win97 software. I basically just copy & pasted my info from my Win95 files.

My question is this, why doesn't the Bank ID tag for my banks w/ conventional freq's show up? The tags show when it is scanning, but when its stops on a active freq. the tag disappears immediately, so that the fourth line is blank. This is a problem for me because I load all the conventional Police freq's in one bank, tag it as POLICE then put the town's name as the alpha tag (third line). Then do the same for the Fire Dept's, etc.

So w/o the fourth line I can't tell what I'm looking at, granted the context of the message will eventually be self-explanatory. My Pro 95 did it, so I don't understand why the 164 doesn't. Is it the software, scanner or a bonehead user that missed a setting somewhere? I checked and double-checked my file and didn't find any place to change a setting to fix this, but I am new to this software and scanner(just downloaded it today). Any and all input greatly appreciated.

And BTW, other this little irritation, this has been a great scanner. Got it about a month ago and loaded some trunked and conv stuff by hand, more sensitive and faster than my Pro 95 and older scanners.

N8IAA

I have a new Pro-164 that I am programming w/ Don Starr's Win97 software. I basically just copy & pasted my info from my Win95 files.

My question is this, why doesn't the Bank ID tag for my banks w/ conventional freq's show up? The tags show when it is scanning, but when its stops on a active freq. the tag disappears immediately, so that the fourth line is blank. This is a problem for me because I load all the conventional Police freq's in one bank, tag it as POLICE then put the town's name as the alpha tag (third line). Then do the same for the Fire Dept's, etc.

So w/o the fourth line I can't tell what I'm looking at, granted the context of the message will eventually be self-explanatory. My Pro 95 did it, so I don't understand why the 164 doesn't. Is it the software, scanner or a bonehead user that missed a setting somewhere? I checked and double-checked my file and didn't find any place to change a setting to fix this, but I am new to this software and scanner(just downloaded it today). Any and all input greatly appreciated.

And BTW, other this little irritation, this has been a great scanner. Got it about a month ago and loaded some trunked and conv stuff by hand, more sensitive and faster than my Pro 95 and older scanners.

Check in the program and make sure that the bank is tagged how you want it. That is the box next to the bank #. Ya just never know;)
I just checked my 97 and 163. No bank tag on the conventional frequencies. Just what I have tagged for the frequency. I do use a lot of PL/DPL, so, that is what shows up on the 4th line. I remember my 95 did, but, it didn't have PL and DPL. Just corrected myself. You do have the frequencies alphatagged?
Larry

Last edited:

Bucko

I don't have the 164 but do have a 2055 and I believe they are similar. That is way the 2055 is setup and I am not aware of anything you can do to change that. Unlike my 2096's they show Bank ID, exception is if you have pl tone programmed then it replaces the Bank Tag.

rockhound

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I do have Bank ID's programmed in the correct place and they do show up on the scanning screen as it scans the different banks but disappear when it picks up an active freq. I am basing this expectation on the operation of my Pro95. Last night I kinda' double checked it by following the instructions in the manual to program Bank ID's by hand and it functions the same. It just does not make sense to me to have this feature in the manual only to have it disappear when you need it.

SAR923

First, forget about the PRO-95. It had a four line display that always showed the bank name because there was nothing else to show. There was no CTCSS/DCS decode so GRE didn't have to worry about changing conditions on that fourth line. When the 96 came out, the fourth line does show the bank name if it's a trunked system or conventional system set to FM. If it's set to a CTCSS or DCS code, it shows the correct code on the fourth line. What people didn't like is that it didn't show the bank names as it was scannng. GRE changed this on the 97 line of scanners, including the 164 and PSR300/400 so it shows the bank name when scanning but doesn't show the bank name when stopped on an FM only frequency. I'm assuming there must be some technical reason why it can't show the bank name while scanning and when stopped on a conventiona FM frequency but you'd have to ask the folks at GRE why this is.

DonS

When the 96 came out, the fourth line does show the bank name if it's a trunked system or conventional system set to FM.
On the PRO-96/2096, the bank name is not displayed when trunking: line 4 contains the talkgroup alpha tag (or the TGID if the talkgroup isn't programmed), line 3 contains the alpha tag of the control channel's "channel" entry, line 2 contains the voice frequency, and line 1 contains the usual bank/channel/etc indicators.

SAR923

Thanks, Don, I had myself turned around running from my 97 to my 96 trying to answer the question. Any idea why GRE took away the bank tag from the 97 line of scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.