Pro-18 observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

As I continue to evolve my skills with this scanner I continue to be impressed by it. I don't (yet) have any simulcast towers in my area, but that is probably coming, so how well it will work with that remains to be seen. At least for now it appears that I won't have to deal with anything Phase II for a few years as Project Hoosier Safe-T is just now working on upgrading the last analog systems, and there are still quite a few, to P.I digital. Hopefully by then I'll have something capable of decoding P.II around.

What surprised me today involved my FD-issue EFJ H-T. I haven't kept it running in the background much since getting my Pro-18, just every few weeks (or more often if it gets any substantial use) let it run till the battery dies, charge it up, and put it back in my gear bag. I had it on this morning and noticed that the Pro-18 was actually decoding our P25/I system somewhat faster -- and more clearly -- than the EFJ was. Wow. Either the EFJ is really as big a piece of junk as some say...or the Pro-18 is even hotter than I suspected. The lag of course wasn't as long as when they simulcast with the VHF analog fire page channel, but it was definite and I observed it for some time so I'm pretty sure it wasn't just my tinnitus acting up!

JustLou

Yes. The Pro-18 is a fine performing radio. It out performs my Uniden HP-1 by a wide margin.

Haley

I have to admit, as much as I like my Pro106, and 396xt, the Pro18 does seem more sensitive. I have compared them all side by side, switching all types of antennas, and I believe the Pro18 wins. Mike

k1xd

I bought a PRO-18 on OverStock for $79. This scanner is a little jewel! It works better on P25 then my HomePatrol. Also, generally a better receiver, I think... more sensitive...better audio.

soboss34

Best Antennae for Pro-18

I love my Pro-18, but would like to know what the best antennae people have found to use with it to listen primarily to the VHF Hi/Lo and UHF Bands. Some digital. The stock antennae doesn't cut it, the RS 800 stubby didn't work that well for me either.

DJ11DLN

I love my Pro-18, but would like to know what the best antennae people have found to use with it to listen primarily to the VHF Hi/Lo and UHF Bands. Some digital. The stock antennae doesn't cut it, the RS 800 stubby didn't work that well for me either.

I'm actually having very good luck with this: Wouxun High Gain Antenna Someone I know had bought several of these and suggested I try one on my Pro-18. He said that it seems to be a copy of a Diamond H-T gain antenna he liked, but that it was working even better for him on 2M/440. His were SMA so an adapter was necessary. I was skeptical because the bulk of what I monitor is 800 MHz P-25. The antenna performs very well for me on VHF-Hi and UHF, and it even seems to have pretty decent resonance in the 800 range. With the radio sitting atop my fridge at home, I easily pick up tower sites in the 40+ mile range. I'm not sure about the shipping but he told me to give him $20 and we'd call it even, which was after I'd used it for a week and decided to order one. Your "some digital" won't matter, a signal is a signal and if an antenna gets you good coverage on analog, digital in the same band and with similar signal strength will come in well on the same setup. I agree that both the stock duck and the RS 800 MHz (a unity-gain antenna, so no real surprise there) are disappointing. And almost any kind of outdoor antenna is going to clobber any sort of duck or telescoping whip.

But then what works for one won't work for another; one thing I've learned about antennas is that, YMMV, you just have to experiment and see what works for you. I actually can plug my Pro-18 into the self-retracting broadcast antenna in my car and get decent results, which I'm sure would be better with a good external antenna, but sometimes the "any old coat-hanger" principle kicks in to your favor.

Last edited:

soboss34

Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying different options including that wouxon. I might have a metal wire hanger here somewhere...

Last edited:

zerickk

Premium Subscriber
I have had my Pro-18 for a few months now and love it. It has no troubles decoding in my area and found it easy to program (using GRE's software instead of the included RS software). My only complaint is that I can't load the Canadian database directly to the scanner like the USA one is. Has anyone figured out how to do this so that you can make playlists when not around your PC?

I also use the RH77CA and RH519 for antennas. The 519 is great for compact use in the city, the 77CA is great for longer range. I find both work really well in 800MHZ range.

Status
Not open for further replies.