Pro-197 settings

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
What should the extended settings such as general tuning and ctcss/dcs/nac be set

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-197 / PSR-500 / PSR-600 did not employ a separate CTCSS/DCS decoder. They use the DSP. As a result, and because I often listen to CHP (low band VHF with CT values), I changed my default values for CTCSS/DCS decoding. It's a tradeoff, but works for me.

1683911385365.png
My General Tuning settings are:
1683911441448.png

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-197 / PSR-500 / PSR-600 did not employ a separate CTCSS/DCS decoder. They use the DSP. As a result, and because I often listen to CHP (low band VHF with CT values), I changed my default values for CTCSS/DCS decoding. It's a tradeoff, but works for me.

View attachment 141690
My General Tuning settings are:
View attachment 141691
I have my in-band sq @ 9 but trying 8 but my scanner has a delay picking up signal would it have a delay because of pl tones

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I have my in-band sq @ 9 but trying 8 but my scanner has a delay picking up signal would it have a delay because of pl tones
Yes, if the object's PL tone is set to 'search,' there will be a delay. To eliminate the delay, set the object's PL tone to either 'none' or the actual tone in use, if known.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if the object's PL tone is set to 'search,' there will be a delay. To eliminate the delay, set the object's PL tone to either 'none' or the actual tone in use, if known.
Would setting the actual pl tone cause a delay are it wouldn't and can you pick up weaker signals without pl tones are it doesn't matter

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Something that drives me nuts about my 197- while scanning and you press "manual" and want to scroll through your saved channels one by one using the big square directional pad, when I press down it goes numerically up and vice versa. Is that just mine or are they all like that? Not a big deal, it just seems backwards to me

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Something that drives me nuts about my 197- while scanning and you press "manual" and want to scroll through your saved channels one by one using the big square directional pad, when I press down it goes numerically up and vice versa. Is that just mine or are they all like that? Not a big deal, it just seems backwards to me
The earlier (bank oriented) models worked that way. With the Object Oriented Programming, they think they're mimicing what you do as you look at a list. You press the down arrow to go down the list (or up in channels). What drives me nuts in this effect is that what you're browsing is per list. I've got several channels common to most lists. Therefore I have to get through the common channels to reach those unique to the list.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Are they a setting for the Pro-197 to pick up the dcs/ctcss codes quicker when set

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The problem I have is specifically when monitoring CHP on low band VHF in which I always use CT tones. With default values I could experience one of several issues of much the most annoying is the audio intermittently muting during a conversation. I traced it back to being the CT was essentially "not decoded" for a moment during a transmission which enabled the squelch. There's likely a thread here on RR related to this topic.

One of the drawbacks of my settings is that I might get a long "squelch trail" at the end of a transmission (as the purpose of my settings are to force a delay before squelching the signal). I did not experience this condition as harshly on other bands (VHF hi or UHF). My use of CT/DC values vary depending on if a frequency is shared (within my reception range) or, especially in low band, needs some qualifier before opening the squelch. The only time I use Off is for AM (tones not supported). I either use a specific tone value or Search.

Comparing my changes to the default values:
RF SQ Fade Timeout: 4 vs default 10
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Fade Timeout: 5000 vs default 2000
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Delay after end: 25 vs default 500
CTCSS/DCS/NAC End detect qualify: 50 vs default 75
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Query interval: 50 vs 100 default

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The problem I have is specifically when monitoring CHP on low band VHF in which I always use CT tones. With default values I could experience one of several issues of much the most annoying is the audio intermittently muting during a conversation. I traced it back to being the CT was essentially "not decoded" for a moment during a transmission which enabled the squelch. There's likely a thread here on RR related to this topic.

One of the drawbacks of my settings is that I might get a long "squelch trail" at the end of a transmission (as the purpose of my settings are to force a delay before squelching the signal). I did not experience this condition as harshly on other bands (VHF hi or UHF). My use of CT/DC values vary depending on if a frequency is shared (within my reception range) or, especially in low band, needs some qualifier before opening the squelch. The only time I use Off is for AM (tones not supported). I either use a specific tone value or Search.

Comparing my changes to the default values:
RF SQ Fade Timeout: 4 vs default 10
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Fade Timeout: 5000 vs default 2000
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Delay after end: 25 vs default 500
CTCSS/DCS/NAC End detect qualify: 50 vs default 75
CTCSS/DCS/NAC Query interval: 50 vs 100 default
I have the Query Interval set to 50 haven't tried the other settings and also are analog scanners has a better minimum squelch setting than a digital

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have the Query Interval set to 50 haven't tried the other settings and also are analog scanners has a better minimum squelch setting than a digital
The settings I use are ONLY for the PRO-197, PRO-106, PSR-500, PSR-600 digital models. The PSR-310, PSR-410 and equivalent ANALOG models were built with the CT/DC decoder chip. In the digital models they use the DSP to decode these tones and THAT'S THE PROBLEM. I've always wondered if the firmware for the DSP was not fully completed before GRE went away. It definitely needs an update to correct/complete this function.

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
The settings I use are ONLY for the PRO-197, PRO-106, PSR-500, PSR-600 digital models. The PSR-310, PSR-410 and equivalent ANALOG models were built with the CT/DC decoder chip. In the digital models they use the DSP to decode these tones and THAT'S THE PROBLEM. I've always wondered if the firmware for the DSP was not fully completed before GRE went away. It definitely needs an update to correct/complete this function.
If you don't need a digital would you stick with the analog, I'm thinking about a Uniden

Bonkk083

Premium Subscriber
Only you can answer that question. If the analog scanner brings in everything you're interested in then there ya go
I have a digital that I'm going to use for trunking and was going to purchase another scanner for vhf