Pro 20-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I am having a very difficult time in programming my scanner. It is a hand held triple trunking model. On the box, it says, "Pro 20-164" It is taking too long to manually enter the conventional stuff and when I atempt to program trunking talk groups I feel as if I need a phd... I used Win500 for my grecom scanner and it worked great. Is there a similiar program I can find some where online that will allow me to program this scanner with the use of my pc?

N8IAA

Since you are familiar with Win500, get Win97. It will make programming a bunch easier. I have the base/mobile version of your scanner. It just takes a little time trying. I agree that the manual is cr*p! Look for the easier to use manual for the 97 in the Wiki here on RR. If I hadn't had a 97 before the 163, it would have drove me to drink:)
Larry

Last edited:

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Your right the manual is crap.. I downloaded win 97 and it looks similiar to what im used to. Only thing is my pc cable is for the grecom scanner and it dont seem to work with the radio shack scanner. Does that sound right? Will I only be able to use a Radio Shack cable with that scanner or should any pc interface cable work?

kcoleman

It will work...

NJEMT12982,

It should work just fine. I use the GRE cable to program my PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-400, & PSR-500. Never had any problems with it and I use Win97 with all those radios except for the 500.

Good Luck,
Keith

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded win 97 and it looks similiar to what im used to. Only thing is my pc cable is for the grecom scanner and it dont seem to work with the radio shack scanner. Does that sound right?
The PRO-164 scanner is made by GRE(com) for Radio Shack.

Will I only be able to use a Radio Shack cable with that scanner or should any pc interface cable work?
You can not use "just any old cable", but the cable you are using with WIN500 should work with WIN97. The difference may be the way the serial port is selected/handled.

Plug in the cable (to your USB port). Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports and see what port number has been assigned to the cable. Put that COM port in to WIN97 and I think it will solve your problem.

N1BHH

I happen to disagree with those who say the manual is "crap" or "junk" or any other words to describe it. The manual is actually a translation from Japanese which leaves out several bits of information that people don't realize.

You can learn how to do very basic programming, and that is the easy part. Enter the frequency, if it's listed in the database here, enter the mode. If it's a Motorola trunked system, let the scanner listen for the talk groups and just press the Trunk key to save them. After that, get the software from: Win97 - Data Management Software for the PRO-97, PRO-2055, PSR-300, PSR-400, PRO-164, and PRO-163 Scanners

You'll be glad you did.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
TRS programming 101

I happen to disagree with those who say the manual is "crap" or "junk" or any other words to describe it. The manual is actually a translation from Japanese which leaves out several bits of information that people don't realize.
Any manual that assumes people have specific information in order to understand what is being conveyed is useless. Compare the manual for the PRO-97 and models since then to the PRO-92 and before and you will see a lot of information is not described that is needed to understand it.

One of the things I do for a living is read and write technical manuals. Just because it is Japanese does not mean much. I have seen manuals from Japan that are just as good as manuals from the USA, and I have seen manuals from the USA that are equally useless. Now if you want to talk language barrier, let's talk about manuals from Korea.

I don't think too many people have a problem with basic programming - how to program a conventional channel. The problem comes when someone tries to program a TRS using what they know about conventional - it does not apply. On one hand a person should not have to understand how a TRS works in order to program it; but OTOH as long as people try to program or monitor a TRS as if it were a conventional frequency; the education is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.