Pro-2050/2052 Backlight Mod HOWTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just finished the back light mod on my pro-2053 from stock orange to blue. it is very very easy to do. I cut the leads off the main board that goes to the mini bulb and ran the meter on it and it reads 5.0v dc so i replaced it with a 5v blue led radio shack part #276-311. Remember the short lead on the led is NEG and the long lead is POS. With the LCD facing you (upside down) the Pos side is the Right connection and the Neg is the left. I will post a picture of the board so it can go into the Wiki. The orange rubber nipple that covers the original bulb is not needed.Use solid core hookup wire and soldier it to the LCD and then to the board and your all set.

STOCK
View attachment 33936

MODDED
View attachment 33935

Also when you unplug the radio to do this mod. Turn the radio on and off to discharge it. Next mod is Carrier light. Disc tap was already done and it works great with PDW

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I decided to add another blue led. Keep in mind that it is a major pita directing the beam of the led. Im thinking of drilling out the left and right angled white side panels and mounting them there, Thanks for the comment on the setup. That is only part of it. Hope people found this more useful than reading about it online or seeing a video of the mod on youtube.

View attachment 33938

View attachment 33940

View attachment 33939

View attachment 33942

Last edited:

OCO

Xeno:
I don't see any current limiting resistors in your pics. The LEDS may have a fairly short life .. Based on this handy little calculator, you might consider putting a 1/8th watt 22 ohm resistor in the feed lead on each LED. You can adjust that up or down, it works out at about 22 ma with that value, on a max safe 30 ma for that LED.... Just a hint from BTDT..

SCPD

QRT
I did add resistors after the fact :) thank you for pointing it out. I will post the final pictures tomorrow.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Xeno:
I don't see any current limiting resistors in your pics. The LEDS may have a fairly short life .. Based on this handy little calculator, you might consider putting a 1/8th watt 22 ohm resistor in the feed lead on each LED. You can adjust that up or down, it works out at about 22 ma with that value, on a max safe 30 ma for that LED.... Just a hint from BTDT..
Thanks for that great calculator Old.

I did add resistors after the fact :) thank you for pointing it out. I will post the final pictures tomorrow.
Outstandind work xeno. Over the years I've changed a few 2050/52's using 9v leds re-soldered to same pads. Still have a couple of 52"s with original lamps.

OCO

Thanks for that great calculator Old
I'd like to take credit.....just one of a thousand shortcuts on my browser.. Amazed I found it again... It used to be I'd dig out the ARRL Handbook first.:wink:
Xeno's project reminded me of converting a couple of SBE Optiscans from bulbs in the card reader to Leds (PITA)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.