Pro-2052 won't reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Great news! It was the EEPROM chip. After some fun time trying my first SMT desoldering and soldering, and a moment where I thought I lifted a trace, I've got it all out back together, and the led mod done to the backlight while I was in there.

The scanner now stores memories and clears like normal and has no issues I can see! Thanks for the help and the EEPROM suggestion, pro92b!
Glad it works now. Did you have to do any pre-programming of the EEPROM before soldering it in or did the scanner write what it needed to the blank chip.

What LED did you install and is there a forum thread about converting the backlight to LED?

There is an apparent error in production of the PRO-2052 explained here: PRO-2052 audio flaw due to production error; HERE'S THE FIX that might be worth fixing.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
Glad it works now. Did you have to do any pre-programming of the EEPROM before soldering it in or did the scanner write what it needed to the blank chip.

What LED did you install and is there a forum thread about converting the backlight to LED?

There is an apparent error in production of the PRO-2052 explained here: PRO-2052 audio flaw due to production error; HERE'S THE FIX that might be worth fixing.
The EEPROM chip worked "out of the box" so to say with no preprogramming. As for the led, I just grabbed one from the junk box and used an online calculator to determine the appropriate resistor and soldered it in place of the light bulb. It happened to be a yellowish orange led that matched the original bulb color. I found a reference here by searching the forum as to what voltage the OEM incandescent bulb was, measured across the leads with a voltmeter to verify and went from there. I don't think there's an official thread about the conversion, but it worked for me.

As for the "audio fix" I'll look when I get home tomorrow to see if my wires are crossed and go from there. I didn't notice any audio problems before, but this scanner sat at the back of my "to get to later" pile and didn't get any use due to the memory issue.

UNDPilot_Alex

Premium Subscriber
The EEPROM chip worked "out of the box" so to say with no preprogramming. As for the led, I just grabbed one from the junk box and used an online calculator to determine the appropriate resistor and soldered it in place of the light bulb. It happened to be a yellowish orange led that matched the original bulb color. I found a reference here by searching the forum as to what voltage the OEM incandescent bulb was, measured across the leads with a voltmeter to verify and went from there. I don't think there's an official thread about the conversion, but it worked for me.

As for the "audio fix" I'll look when I get home tomorrow to see if my wires are crossed and go from there. I didn't notice any audio problems before, but this scanner sat at the back of my "to get to later" pile and didn't get any use due to the memory issue.
Well I'll be darned... Mine had the "audio flaw" as described in that thread. I used an automotive type terminal release tool and it worked great. I'll post pics and info on that thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.