Pro 2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucewarming

I have a pro-96 for digital and with the Starware for it to extend the freq's. Nice clearance price at the shack now for the 2052 $149.?? I don't see a thread on this scanner (may be missing it some where)? Whats everyones thoughts on this scanner? Takes the same pc cable which I have for the 96. Also, I just happened to be looking at my police call book 2004 year and see the software that came with it also is the programming ware for the 2052.

drew6553

i had a 2052 but returned it quickly for a 97. If you are going to get a 2052 definately use don S. software for it. i believe it works for both the 95 and the 2052 but hwne i had a 2052 it was just to hard to program trunk manually that i was a little stressed out. But i'm peronally thinking of getting a couple of 2055's one for my vehicle and one for the dorm room. Yes, I'm a college scanner geek. but I'm also going for my emt and i want to run with the campus based ambulance that they have there.

But what i did see of the 2052 i liked it was a strong reciver cause i had it set up in a steel building being used as a fire house and had no probs recieving. So i say go for it and use don's awesome ware to program it

Drew

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
brucewarming said:
Takes the same pc cable which I have for the 96.
It takes a RS232 cable 9m-9f Radio Shack 260-0117.

brucewarming said:
Also, I just happened to be looking at my police call book 2004 year and see the software that came with it also is the programming ware for the 2052.
It is cumbersome, but works when you get it figured out. However, the software will not set the trunking requirements.

drew6553 said:
If you are going to get a 2052 definately use don S. software for it. i believe it works for both the 95 and the 2052.
You must be thinking of the Pro-2053, which is the base/mobile Pro-93 and with Win93, uses the same cable as the Pro's-96, 95 and 92/2067. The Pro-2052 is made by Uniden as is the Pro-94, however they do not use the same software nor cable for programming even though they function nearly the same.

To address the original question, the 2052 is a great scanner for scanning milair and at the price, a good scanner for trunking all analog Motorola systems and most EDACS. However, it does not have text tags..

JFER1980

Frank wrote. . . . .
You must be thinking of the Pro-2053, which is the base/mobile Pro-93 and with Win93, uses the same cable as the Pro's-96, 95 and 92/2067. The Pro-2052 is made by Uniden as is the Pro-94, however they do not use the same software nor cable for programming even though they function nearly the same.

Well I do know this. The 2052 is made by Radioshack because I'm looking at it right now. It is confusing and time consuming programming the thing and especially for someone with as little experience as me. I wonder if there is something in my price range (100-150$) that is much better. This thing just came out less than a year ago and it seems to be so out of date on the forums. I thought computers were bad.

Jay

gr8amp

JFER1980 said:
Frank wrote. . . . .

Well I do know this. The 2052 is made by Radioshack because I'm looking at it right now. It is confusing and time consuming programming the thing and especially for someone with as little experience as me. I wonder if there is something in my price range (100-150$) that is much better. This thing just came out less than a year ago and it seems to be so out of date on the forums. I thought computers were bad.

Jay

It is made by Uniden, for radioshack. It doesn't matter what is written on the outside, it's a uniden at heart. Also, this radio has been around for quite a while. It came out much before "less than a year ago." For the current price I dont think it is such a horrible scanner, but it's far from being the latest and greatest.

-Jim

seamusg

gr8amp said:
It is made by Uniden, for radioshack. It doesn't matter what is written on the outside, it's a uniden at heart. Also, this radio has been around for quite a while. It came out much before "less than a year ago." For the current price I dont think it is such a horrible scanner, but it's far from being the latest and greatest.

-Jim
The creation date for the PDF version of the owners manual for my pro-2052 shows 7/14/2000.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
seamusg said:
The creation date for the PDF version of the owners manual for my pro-2052 shows 7/14/2000.
And I have a one with 6/98 and another with 9/99. Radio Shack buys scanners, they do not make them. However, GRE has also manufactured scanners for Radio Shack and all since the 2052. Ie the 92 came out nearly the same time and the 2067 about a year later followed by the 93/2053, 95 and 96/2096. Many Radio Shack scanners older then the 2052 are manufactured by Uniden.

BTW, your 2052 also has a change in the firmware. You can program conventional freqs in with trunking banks. That cannot be done on either of mine--they otherwise program the same way.

One more point, My first 2052 cost $299.99 and the second on sale at $249.99. $149.99 is a great buy.

seamusg

fmon said:
And I have a one with 6/98 and another with 9/99. Radio Shack buys scanners, they do not make them. However, GRE has also manufactured scanners for Radio Shack and all since the 2052. Ie the 92 came out nearly the same time and the 2067 about a year later followed by the 93/2053, 95 and 96/2096. Many Radio Shack scanners older then the 2052 are manufactured by Uniden.

BTW, your 2052 also has a change in the firmware. You can program conventional freqs in with trunking banks. That cannot be done on either of mine--they otherwise program the same way.

One more point, My first 2052 cost $299.99 and the second on sale at $249.99. $149.99 is a great buy.
Actually my pro-2052 is older than the pdf manual, it will not do conventional and trunk together. The date is just the date of the manual. I got tired of trying to find the manuals for all of my stuff, so I got all of the pdf's for almost all of it and put them in a folder called manuals so I could find them. I think I paid $249 for mine.

sacscan

I have a 2052. Like the first-generation Pro-94, it has a ridiculous 5-second multi-trunking delay that cannot be turned off. The first-generation Uniden BC245 had this delay also, but it would immediately start scanning the next trunking system after a system user unkeyed their radio and the repeater dropped (if "DELAY" was turned off). The 2052 will stay on the first trunking system an additional 5 seconds after the repeater drops. I have heard mine stay stuck on Sac City TRS for 10-15 MINUTES before switching to Sac County TRS due to the increased traffic on Sac PD's talkgroups. Unless RS has fixed this problem in the latest firmware, stay away from this scanner unless you only scan one trunking system at a time.

brucewarming

I started this post and the help has been very great, Thank you
I see short falls to this scanner as well as the Wide scanning freq's which is my interest in this scanner. Of coarse the clearance price is great, Like I mentioned I also own a Pro-96 and a indoor antenna, power adapter,I have the trunking/ APCO/digital covered with it. I'am plugging and unplugging it all the time to take it with me an my thoughts would be "hey(the 2052) it's got a great freq range in Mil-Air + a wide range of other freq's. I Could keep it at the house as a working(search scanner) and stop having to do the plug and unplug and also keep my programed banks in the 96 as is and not keep having to connect to the computer to see what the heck I changed on the go! I again thank you.
EDIT--- I have been looking on e-Bay and now that you mentioned the firmware updates thru the years, I best go get the new one from the Shack. Or at least make up my mind before it goes off sale!, or they run out of them, it is a clearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.