Weird on.... Pro-197 and Pro-106

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is everything in scan list 1? Did you try turning the squelch knob counterclockwise? Did you use the same file to program both scanners? You should see a "T" at the top of the display if scanner is detecting a control channel. I need to see your PSREdit500 programming file. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

mocman

Premium Subscriber
All in scan list....squelch correct....same file on both...no T on top but is on 106.....I tried to manual input to no avail.....when I get back I will zip you my bin file

mocman

Premium Subscriber
Is everything in scan list 1? Did you try turning the squelch knob counterclockwise? Did you use the same file to program both scanners? You should see a "T" at the top of the display if scanner is detecting a control channel. I need to see your PSREdit500 programming file. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

Attachments

• NEWtroupzip.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 4

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I've been reading these comments since you started. I can tell you I have programmed a LOT of 106/197's
Seen 1-2 197's with a squelch problem where it would need to be set at the 2 O'clock position instead of 10 O'clock.
With the programming cable, be sure to push it all the way in, I've seen it here sticking out ~1/64th and wont program.

Reception,
Do a test, when its getting something or a good one – NOAA weather, push slightly in on the antenna connector, if the signal improves, you may have a cracked antenna solder joint.

The other possible thing is after many years the two little connections you see on the antenna connector if you remove the antenna may have separated, more prone to that if you remove-install the antenna a lot.

If you have another antenna, try that.

Take a qtip with isopropyl alcohol and remove the antenna on the radio and swab the antenna all around the silver ground connector & where the antenna connects. * If you try this, DON’T apply pressure to the connector as you don’t want to spread the contacts apart !
It did help a lot for me and several others, the connectors, mainly the silver ground contacts can get quite dirty and limit the reception.

Make sure if you have pushed the antenna in and give it a twist to lock in otherwise the antenna is not connected to the radio.
======================================================

Programming:
Deleted the duplicated second set of talkgroups.
Put in the tower control channel frequencies only - no need to put in voice frequencies, you will find the radio will be much more responsive.
-Set that also to STAT so it will scan all the towers and set to be decoded with good signal.
Changed a few decoding numbers under "Expert Settings". - Will pickup signal better.
Added text to the scanlists.
Even added what I could find for analog frequencies that you can get and put those in scanlist 2.
Scanlist 3 is Troop with the frequencies found at the other Troop County forum post.

Just press the 1, 2, 3 keys to turn on-off the scanlists.
You may want to add a wildcard as if this a new system, the talkgroups might be completely different.
Right click on while viewing scanlst 3 on the far right and select - Add Wildcard

Attachments

• NEWStuff.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
PRO-106 works but PRO-197 doesn't. Both are Phase 1 only.
he also literally just admitted that it was simulcast he was trying to receive. Shut and closed on that one. There's already a wiki article with many threads linked on how to deal with that.

tvengr

Well Known Member
he also literally just admitted that it was simulcast he was trying to receive. Shut and closed on that one. There's already a wiki article with many threads linked on how to deal with that.
The PRO-106 and PRO-197 are essentially the same scanner. If one is working at a location, the other should also work at the same location if both are using the same antenna. The 106 probably has the rubber ducky and the 197 comes with a telescoping antenna. Try swapping antennas. If the 197 is on an outside antenna, that could explain the problem.

mocman

Premium Subscriber

I've been reading these comments since you started. I can tell you I have programmed a LOT of 106/197's
Seen 1-2 197's with a squelch problem where it would need to be set at the 2 O'clock position instead of 10 O'clock.
With the programming cable, be sure to push it all the way in, I've seen it here sticking out ~1/64th and wont program.

Reception,
Do a test, when its getting something or a good one – NOAA weather, push slightly in on the antenna connector, if the signal improves, you may have a cracked antenna solder joint.

The other possible thing is after many years the two little connections you see on the antenna connector if you remove the antenna may have separated, more prone to that if you remove-install the antenna a lot.

If you have another antenna, try that.

Take a qtip with isopropyl alcohol and remove the antenna on the radio and swab the antenna all around the silver ground connector & where the antenna connects. * If you try this, DON’T apply pressure to the connector as you don’t want to spread the contacts apart !
It did help a lot for me and several others, the connectors, mainly the silver ground contacts can get quite dirty and limit the reception.

Make sure if you have pushed the antenna in and give it a twist to lock in otherwise the antenna is not connected to the radio.
======================================================

Programming:
Deleted the duplicated second set of talkgroups.
Put in the tower control channel frequencies only - no need to put in voice frequencies, you will find the radio will be much more responsive.
-Set that also to STAT so it will scan all the towers and set to be decoded with good signal.
Changed a few decoding numbers under "Expert Settings". - Will pickup signal better.
Added text to the scanlists.
Even added what I could find for analog frequencies that you can get and put those in scanlist 2.
Scanlist 3 is Troop with the frequencies found at the other Troop County forum post.

Just press the 1, 2, 3 keys to turn on-off the scanlists.
You may want to add a wildcard as if this a new system, the talkgroups might be completely different.
Right click on while viewing scanlst 3 on the far right and select - Add Wildcard

The PRO-106 and PRO-197 are essentially the same scanner. If one is working at a location, the other should also work at the same location if both are using the same antenna. The 106 probably has the rubber ducky and the 197 comes with a telescoping antenna. Try swapping antennas. If the 197 is on an outside antenna, that could explain the problem.
ok after all the testing etc etc. I found the problem......it was a broken antenna. I read a few post that it may be the antenna. I mean this has had me spinning my brain. Now I learned to check the most simple stuff first. I want thank everyone for all the help. I have learned a lot from all the posts. Again Thanks Everyone!