Pro-38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with something... I have an old pro-38 scanner and I was just wondering if it would still work today because of how much everything's changed and if I could pick up signals still, does anyone know where I could get the codes that would actually work for it? Whenever I hit scan it never comes up with anything. Thank you!

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference!

Click Database at the top of the screen and pick your state and county. I don't know how to program that scanner but the database is where all the frequencies are.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

K7FFN

PRO-38 won't hold programming

I just purchased a PRO-38 from a yard sale. Looks new; had the original packaging. Downloaded the operation manual, installed batteries, programmed it and it worked fine. Then I discovered that if I turn it off, it loses all programming. It still scans, contrary to what the instructions say, but each channel returns 000.000 if I review it. Does this thing have a memory battery in it?

DJ11DLN

I just purchased a PRO-38 from a yard sale. Looks new; had the original packaging. Downloaded the operation manual, installed batteries, programmed it and it worked fine. Then I discovered that if I turn it off, it loses all programming. It still scans, contrary to what the instructions say, but each channel returns 000.000 if I review it. Does this thing have a memory battery in it?

That or a cap. Open it up and see, this is an oldie (mid-late '80s) and not much info still around for it. Built by Uniden for RS. If it was a B/M you could just leave it powered and all would probably be fine but if you want to use it portable you're going to have to find the cap or battery and replace it. IMHO there are a lot of much better scanners out there that will do the same thing and can often be had used for a few coins which won't give you this headache...unless you just want to make a project out of it. Nothing at all wrong with that! Good luck. :wink:

K7FFN

That or a cap. Open it up and see, this is an oldie (mid-late '80s) and not much info still around for it. Built by Uniden for RS. If it was a B/M you could just leave it powered and all would probably be fine but if you want to use it portable you're going to have to find the cap or battery and replace it. IMHO there are a lot of much better scanners out there that will do the same thing and can often be had used for a few coins which won't give you this headache...unless you just want to make a project out of it. Nothing at all wrong with that! Good luck. :wink:

I think it is a cap. The manual says it will hold its programing for 30 minutes, and I have opened it up and can't find a battery. Thanks for the response; I already have a PRO-135 and a Kenwood TM-V71 that work fine and this thing only cost me $5, so I'm not worried about it. Currently I have it upstairs on a 12v wall wart while everything else in downstairs in the shack. I might make it a project some time if I get bored. Or if my wife gets fed up with it I can practice my bullet pass to the dumpster. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.