Pro-652

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregNC

Hello I'm new to the forum and also new to trunk tracking. I have an old Bearcat 210 so that should tell you I don't play with scanners much. Just off and on lol. I have a friend just down the road that bought a Pro 652 and he needs help programming it. He knows I use to install C-band systems and tinker with computers so this is how I got "recruited". Others have tried to help him but the manual programming is greek to somebody that don't enjoy the hobby of playing with scanners. I have found a place I think I can get the USB synch cable Saturday. I have manually programmed some frequency's in by CONV and I have the local sheriff's dept and some other's working but I want to get the trunk tracking going. I'm doing some reading and searching here and I think I understand what I have to do. My Father has the same scanner and he told me that he never got the trunk tracking on his programmed. My main question now is when I'm successful and getting a file made to load on my friends scanner could I use the same file and put on my dad's? I've read that a premium subscription will help with the win500. Is that a Premium subscription to this site or to Win500 when I download it? You never know what tomorrow will bring and 2 days ago I had no idea I would be studying to program a scanner. I guess once I learn this I may have to retire the Bearcat and get a new one myself. There is a lot I can't get with it here in eastern NC. Thanks.

QDP2012

Welcome to RadioReference GregNC,
---
...I'm doing some reading and searching here and I think I understand what I have to do....

If you haven't found it yet, one of the more commonly used references is the Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual. It can help get you started.

Edit: Also, in case you haven't already seen it, you might want to look at the Radio Reference Wiki's Main page, and notice a blue-ish box in its upper-right corner which contains "Links for Newcomers". Those Wiki pages can be a good starting point to help you get started, especially the Scanning 101 and Trunking Basics pages.

---
...My Father has the same scanner and he told me that he never got the trunk tracking on his programmed. My main question now is when I'm successful and getting a file made to load on my friends scanner could I use the same file and put on my dad's?...
If each of them has an RS Pro-652, then yes, you can upload the same data file to both scanners.

---
I've read that a premium subscription will help with the win500. Is that a Premium subscription to this site or to Win500 when I download it?

The "Premium Subscription" you have read about, is a premium subscription to Radio Reference.
Many people use Win500.
And, many people use ARC500 or ARC500 Pro.

They both will program the scanner. They just use different User Interfaces to do it. Some people find one interface easier to use than the other.

Here are some RR Wiki links that might help get you started, too.
RR Wiki: Getting Started with Win500
ARC500 User Guide

---
You never know what tomorrow will bring and 2 days ago I had no idea I would be studying to program a scanner. I guess once I learn this I may have to retire the Bearcat and get a new one myself. There is a lot I can't get with it here in eastern NC. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your old Bearcat, but it might still be useful for things like aviation or railroad or FRS/GRMS/MURS, etc. depending on where you are and what you want to monitor.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

DickH

I suggest you get a free 30-day trial of WIN500.
Which system do you want to monitor? If it is a Phase I system the PRO-652 will do it OK, but it will not do a Phase II system.

Once I see which system it is, I can show you how to set it up in WIN500.

GregNC

I suggest you get a free 30-day trial of WIN500.
Which system do you want to monitor? If it is a Phase I system the PRO-652 will do it OK, but it will not do a Phase II system.

Once I see which system it is, I can show you how to set it up in WIN500.

I have to do some searching to answer this. I'm not sure what phase 1 or phase 2 is Thanks for stepping in to help me.

GregNC

DickH, Statewide Viper for North Carolina is true phase 1. I got the USB synch cable today. The fellow at Radio Shack in Washington NC was nice and offered to program it for 40.00 which wasn't bad considering the cable is a few dollars over 30.00. I'm already started on this reading and stuff so I said no thanks. Looks like something fun to learn. Thanks.

DickH

DickH, Statewide Viper for North Carolina is true phase 1. I got the USB synch cable today. The fellow at Radio Shack in Washington NC was nice and offered to program it for 40.00 which wasn't bad considering the cable is a few dollars over 30.00. I'm already started on this reading and stuff so I said no thanks. Looks like something fun to learn. Thanks.

Assuming you get WIN500, here is a start.

1-Open WIN500
2-Near the top, click on TSYS Objects.
3-On the far right, near the top, click on System Frequencies.
4-A new window opens. It looks as if there is only one site (Transmitting tower)
in Craven county. You need only the freqs. colored red and blue, but since there
are only 5 freqs, it won't hurt to enter all 5. Someday they could use one of the
other 3 freqs. as a control channel.
5-After entering the freqs., click OK. Now you are back at the last window.
I've used WIN500 only once, a long time ago, so I'm not clear on the next steps.
You may find a video on YouTube with more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.