PRO-92 Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
What would be a good price to sale a good condition PRO-92?

Thank You.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 value

It really depends on the condition of the PRO-92. Keep in mind, while the PRO-92 is an older model than the PRO-95; the PRO-92 has PL/DPL decoding. The PRO-92 is not as elegant as the PRO-97, but holds its own in many ways. Some people like it specifically for the SAME Wx decoding.

Another issue is rebanding and how it will affect MO trunked systems. Clearly the PRO-95 & PRO-97 will not work on affected MOT type systems, while it is possible that the PRO-92 will. This is because the PRO-92 is not a "control channel only" scanner.

All that being said, if the PRO-92 is in great condition and all original components are included (both battery holders, antenna, manual), then certainly it's worth $100.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It really depends on the condition of the PRO-92. Keep in mind, while the PRO-92 is an older model than the PRO-95; the PRO-92 has PL/DPL decoding. The PRO-92 is not as elegant as the PRO-97, but holds its own in many ways. Some people like it specifically for the SAME Wx decoding.

Another issue is rebanding and how it will affect MO trunked systems. Clearly the PRO-95 & PRO-97 will not work on affected MOT type systems, while it is possible that the PRO-92 will. This is because the PRO-92 is not a "control channel only" scanner.

All that being said, if the PRO-92 is in great condition and all original components are included (both battery holders, antenna, manual), then certainly it's worth $100.

I owned one, and I sold it for what I paid, $50 or 60 (I forgot).

The CTCSS/DCS was never as good as decoding a correct tone for me as my 97. The last two versions were "control channel only" capable so the original is the one some people want for post-rebanding use. I thought about keeping it for that reason, but It was never the best at motorola systems anyway so I passed it on to someone else.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-92b

The CTCSS/DCS was never as good as decoding a correct tone for me as my 97.
I agree with that.

The last two versions were "control channel only" capable so the original is the one some people want for post-rebanding use.
I have the latest version of the '92, and it is not a true CC only scanner. While it read data from the CC, you still have to program the other TRS frequencies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have the latest version of the '92, and it is not a true CC only scanner. While it read data from the CC, you still have to program the other TRS frequencies.

Yeah, seems I was in a hurry and mis-spoke. I meant that the original version (not the "A" or "B") is what is valued by some for it's alleged ability to survive rebanding and still be usable on motorola 800mhz systems.

I had not used an A or B version, so I took a guess that they were CC only like the later GRE scanners. :D

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 Version A or B?

How would one tell if a PRO-92 scanner is a version A or B?

Thank You

RogerH11

Thank You

There's 3 versions. The Pro 92 that trunks with sub audio tones and was made in Japan. The Pro 92A is a CC trunk radio built in Japan. The Pro92B is the same I think but made in China. Look on the back of the radio beside the Radio Shack Item number and see if there is a box beside it with a letter A or B in it.
Beware, the 92A is really touchy and sucks if you don't have the right antenna because the 800 sensitivity is weak. The Radio Shack 800 antenna is the only antenna I ever used to where I enjoyed using the 92A. Also, this was the first radio ever to trunk and scan conventional at the same time so that's what made it cool beside good audio compared to the Uniden junk at the time.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 version

When you turn the scanner on, during the time the sign-on message is displayed, press 3. The scanner will display its formware version. The original version (PRO-92) shows as version 1.00. The PRO-92B displays version 3.28.

Haley

I have owned a 92B (actually two of them) for 7 years, and agree with pretty much what everyone has said. I still use it everyday. If you look on the back of the unit , on the RS sticker, the upper right corner will say cat. no. 20-522, and then in a box will have an A or B (or nothing). Also if you have the A version , I believe it powers up with firmware 3.25. If its important to you, the B version had some upgraded SAME (weather) enhacements done to it. (probably newer messages ect.). Mike

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The PRO92 "Classic" (first edition) has been rumored to do Moto Type11 rebanding as mentioned because of sub-audible tone trunking...If your in the open mode you must L/O the CC each time its turned on....On the following models on the back where it states PRO92 you will see a "A or "B" if its the revised model which was cured of "wobble" on the talk groups which meant when monitoring say ID208 and ID1616 becomes active it over-rides 208....

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
Pro 92

I have Seven (7) Pro 92's both A & B models which 1 is in my pov to monitor the the Edacs & LTR systems that are in use in my area , 2 i use at home to monitor the same system along with a RS pro-2053 and 1 that I carry at work in my patrol vehicle. They all work great . The others are use as back up. They maybe a little old ,but they work better then some of the new stuff out today. Thanks & Have a Great Day

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I AGREE, old was simpler, easier to pgm, the 2053 is a great trunker and the audio is fantastic.....You dont need to keep downloading fixes, they just work good.....

Status
Not open for further replies.