PRO-93

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2it2010

Hi all-

I have the RadioShack Pro-93 which has severed me well for over 10 years. Unfortunately the LCD screen has stopped working (the backlight still works but the the digital readout is blank). I went to radio shack and was originally told I could order a replacement screen for $50, but then was told only the antenna and battery charger component could be ordered. I have tried resetting but not initatilizing (forgive the spelling).

I also have the RadioShack USB Scanner/PC (04A08/ 20-047) cable. I don't have the CD anymore for this, its been a while but I also downloaded a program (win93 I thin). When I tried connecting the scanner to the computer I always get a com port error and can never transfer the data.

I have a predicament now in that i pretty much know the channels (and know the frequencies) so although its a challenge the scanner is still usable. If I try re-initializing then i'll loose all the data and if that does not fix the LCD screen then the scanner will be useless.

My computer is running Vista operating system. Unfortunately I had to do a recovery on it (all the electronics are failing). When I connect the usb scanner wire to the computer (and the scanner), nothing happens.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This "old" scanner has done me well and I don't want to replace it unless absolutely necessar.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Hi all-

I have the RadioShack Pro-93 which has severed me well for over 10 years. Unfortunately the LCD screen has stopped working (the backlight still works but the the digital readout is blank). I went to radio shack and was originally told I could order a replacement screen for $50, but then was told only the antenna and battery charger component could be ordered. I have tried resetting but not initatilizing (forgive the spelling).

I also have the RadioShack USB Scanner/PC (04A08/ 20-047) cable. I don't have the CD anymore for this, its been a while but I also downloaded a program (win93 I thin). When I tried connecting the scanner to the computer I always get a com port error and can never transfer the data.

I have a predicament now in that i pretty much know the channels (and know the frequencies) so although its a challenge the scanner is still usable. If I try re-initializing then i'll loose all the data and if that does not fix the LCD screen then the scanner will be useless.

My computer is running Vista operating system. Unfortunately I had to do a recovery on it (all the electronics are failing). When I connect the usb scanner wire to the computer (and the scanner), nothing happens.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This "old" scanner has done me well and I don't want to replace it unless absolutely necessar.

Well, would you be a-ok with still using the Scanner even with no screen, if you knew how it was set-up?

Eng74

The PRO-93 and 95 did have a problem where the contrast will reset to 0 and blank the screen. I don't remember off the top of my head on how to adjust it, check the manual. Also if I remember right you will need the tail that comes with the RS USB cable, the 92, 93, and 95 need a mono not stereo tip.

SCPD

QRT
you said you tried resetting the scanner, are you talking about resetting it back to DEFAULT ?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
My display went blank!

Most likely, your radio is not broken. There have been some reports of the radio losing some settings, especially during power spikes or when the battery is low. One common setting that gets messed up is the display contrast. Do this before you panic:

Press MANUAL. Press FUNC then 9. Press the up or down buttons to adjust the contrast. Press ENTER to set the display contrast.

DickH

If it's the Contrat setting it may be the same as the PRO-95. Try this.

CHANGING THE DISPLAYCONTRAST
1. Press MANUAL.
2. Press FUNC then 9. Use Up/Down arrows to set contrast appears.
3. Press ENTER to set the display contrast.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-93 LCD

Unless the glass is fractured, I highly doubt the LCD itself is bad. It is more likely a voltage being fed to the display, and quite likely it is just the contrast adjustment.

The problem with a cold reset is that it will likely erase what you have programmed. I'd use the manual control and try adjust contrast at each extreme to see if that makes a difference. Make sure the scanner is also being run from solid power (fresh fully charged batteries or power supply that is properly operating).

n2it2010

Thanks

Thank you to all that replied, the Contrast setting was the problem, and the unit now works (I took it completely apart and could a really broken it before posting this).

I still have the port problem connecting the scanner to my PC (windows vista), will using a mono jack resolve the com port error?

Status
Not open for further replies.