Pro-96 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5PCX

Does any one know of a good web site that has modifications for the Pro-96, 97 ?
Specifically a mod to open up the reciever? I've performed this type of mod on my Kenwood TS-570D, and all I had to do was remove a resistor. It opened the transciever all the way from .5khz to 30mhz.

Thanks
Wes

funcritter

I'm sot so sure you will get any answers since it is highly illegal to do this.

I have an old Pro-51 scanner that simply took some keyboard entries to open the freqs up. Good luck on finding anything though.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
N5PCX said:
Does any one know of a good web site that has modifications for the Pro-96, 97 ?
Specifically a mod to open up the reciever? I've performed this type of mod on my Kenwood TS-570D, and all I had to do was remove a resistor. It opened the transciever all the way from .5khz to 30mhz.

Thanks
Wes

If there were, everyone would be talking about it/doing it. They aren't.

Scanners made for type acceptance in the US must be designed so as not to be modifiable in this manner. It has been this way for the past twenty years. The scanners out there than can be "opened up" in this manner are likely more than twenty years old.

N5PCX

funcritter said:
I'm sot so sure you will get any answers since it is highly illegal to do this.

I have an old Pro-51 scanner that simply took some keyboard entries to open the freqs up. Good luck on finding anything though.

Do you think it is possible, by way of an upgrade, that Radio Shack could open up the reciever, except for cellular? Also, what about an upgrade for the project 25?

I guess you can see where I'm going...700Mhz and project 25 by way of upgrade?

1) Is it possible
2) Would Radio Shack make it possible via upgrade, or just come out with a new scanner?

Thanks again

Wes

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
N5PCX said:
Do you think it is possible, by way of an upgrade, that Radio Shack could open up the reciever, except for cellular? Also, what about an upgrade for the project 25?

I guess you can see where I'm going...700Mhz and project 25 by way of upgrade?

1) Is it possible
2) Would Radio Shack make it possible via upgrade, or just come out with a new scanner?

Thanks again

Wes

No and no. As far as new scanner models, the PRO-96 already does P25 digital. There is software out there (Win 96) that can add some additional frequency coverage, but it will not be continuous coverage. If you want continuous coverage (less cellular) and trunking, look at the BR330T. But, it doesn't do digital. As far as modifying a PRO-97 to do what a PRO-96 does, forget it. Radio Shack can't do it either.

You can't make a Cadillac out of a Cavalier The answer is, you buy the Cadillac to begin with. :eek:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
N5PCX said:
...I guess you can see where I'm going...700Mhz and project 25 by way of upgrade?...
Wes,

As others have stated the Pro-96 does "Project 25" systems already, it was the first scanner to do so (assuming you are talking about Project 25 Trunking Systems). Now, as for 700 MHz, it will already cover 700 MHz, when enabled using Win96 software; however, it will never trunk track a trunking system in the 700 MHz range as it fails a frequency validity table embedded in the scanner. There is no fix for this, and to the best of my knowledge, even if GRE is planning an hardware upgrade to this scanner, it will not fix that problem.

The Pro-97 is not a digital scanner, is not designed to be one, and will never be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.