Pro 96 date code (08a03) help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBLOCK

Pro 96 with a date code of 08A03. From what I understand this is one of the first 96 models released. CPU is 1.1 DSP 1.0, and third line is 1.0.

The unit powers on and picks up conventional analog, trunking analog, and P25 conventional perfect, loud and clear. I am having trouble picking up P25 800mhz digital trunking with a 5 digit talkgroup. Transmissions are coming over all broken up and barley readable. I cloned it from a newer model pro 96 with all the same freqs and TG's. Side by side only the newer one picks up p25 800mhz. Tryed moving to different locations still nothing. All settings are identical. I am also having an issue with the volume control. No matter how high or low i adjust volume it is full blast.

My question is, is this due to the cpu or dsp that i am unable to pick up p25 800mhz? Will Radio Shack still be able to fix this as well as the volume problem? If so how much..i still have receipt from purchase over a year ago.

Any advice, input, repair quotes or experience with this problem greatly appreciated..........thank you

spooney

There are three CPU firmware updates available from the RS website. Version 1.2 , 1.3 & 1.4 I found v 1.3 works best for me for P25 decoding, Try them all and see what works best for you.

Bucko

That would be DSP firmware updates. Go to this page and scroll down till you see the Pro 96.RadioShack.com The volume control is a common problem with the 96, mine had it too. The pot gets noisy, cleaning may help by using tuner cleaner or the pot may need replaced. If it is not real bad turning the control back and forth rather fast for a bit will help a bit. I never sent a RS scanner in for repair but I am sure your local RS should tell you what it would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.