Pro-96 Scan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I am trying to tweak the programming in a Pro-96 for someone because the system in question has changed control channels (or more accurately, moving from a Smartnet sytsem to a P25 system and the talk groups in question finally moved over). I'm doing everything manually as I can't find my cable for this scanner and it should be as easy as editing four channels in the 3rd bank.

But something keeps sticking out at me. When I received it only bank 3 was enabled. It will blink the cursor over the #3, but immediately below the 3 is a hyphen and not a plus sign nor a dot.

If I turn on any other bank before or after 3 they join the scan sequence, but they have a plus below them. To make this more questionable, if I enable say bank 1 and 6 the 1/6 will blink as if the solid cursor appears over them, but it never goes to the 3 in this case.

What does the hyphen under that scanlist/bank mean? I can't find any reference to it in the Pro96 manual, nor in any google searches I've tried.

If I put an analog channel in an empty position of Bank 3 and hit scan it can find it, but nothing I do is finding any activity on the system. What is funny is despite changing the CCs to match the new system it occasionally presents talk-group numbers that are from the old system, as if its still somehow hearing the old control channel despite me changing all the frequencies in the first four channels of bank 3 and adding the new talk-group IDs. I can hear traffic on another radio, but not this one.

I figured I either need to find my cable or ask here what I'm missing. This hyphen has to mean something.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro96?

Do you mean the _ under the BANK numbers? instead of the +? That means the BANK is open and closed. Pressing (func) #5 will toggle the BANK open or closed. Open you hear all the talkgroups coming through that Control Channel *even encryption* Closed _ means you will not hear the talkgroups you locked out. Sadly, the locked out TGs count toward your limit for each bank, a very inefficient way to do things. That's why we have Scan LISTS now. Your question IS in the manual. It's in the OPEN/CLOSED BANK area.

Last edited by a moderator:

northernsummit

Feed Provider
Do you mean the _ under the BANK numbers? instead of the +? That means the BANK is open and closed. Pressing (func) #5 will toggle the BANK open or closed. Open you hear all the talkgroups coming through that Control Channel *even encryption* Closed _ means you will not hear the talkgroups you locked out. Sadly, the locked out TGs count toward your limit for each bank, a very inefficient way to do things. That's why we have Scan LISTS now. Your question IS in the manual. It's in the OPEN/CLOSED BANK area.

I actually stumbled upon the discovery because I intentionally wanted to get it into open mode to see if it could hear anything at all on the system and when it went to a + sign I started laughing. I didn't see it in the manual but I could see how I would have read past that.

Still fighting with why it doesn't appear to be decoding but I appreciate the help.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Pro96?

Hearing nothing? THAT could depend on what system you're helping them on. The Pro96 does NOT get 700mhz range. What SYSTEM/SITE and WHERE? and does it have the LAST firmware 1.4? you press the #3 at the startup greeting to see what's loaded
DSP APP u1.4 shows on mine.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Also, P25 trunked systems must have custom settings in order to be able to monitor them. Simply inputting the control channel doesn't do it.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Also, P25 trunked systems must have custom settings in order to be able to monitor them. Simply inputting the control channel doesn't do it.

That is incorrect information as Ohio, Michigan and certainly more states are fully 9600 baud and do not require custom tables.

Engine104

Member since 2005
The baud rate is not the problem. Please see this current thread (https://forums.radioreference.com/r...76817-help-programming-pro-96-pro-2096-a.html ) and some others on the issue. It may depend on the P25 system, but I can tell you with certainty that the Interagency Communications Interoperability System in SoCal could not be monitored on a Pro 96 or 296 without custom tables. I think the issue has to do more with offsets and other settings than baud rate. This is not incorrect information.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Engine104/Mule1072 are right. After rebanding of the 800mhz years ago.. we Pro96/2096 users had to use custom Tables to reprogram them. Here in IL we did with the Starcom21 P25 Statewide System. It can't be done by hand on the scanner, has to be done by software only. (Tried it) Luckily, it was as easy as clicking a circle in ARC96 or WIN96 when programming by computer and uploading the data to the scanner. Having that LAST firmware update is important too u1.4 available still on the Wikipages of Radio Ref site for that particular scanner. My advice is to tell that "someone" the OP is fixing it for to buy a new (cheaper) scanner on the classifieds section here. People are unloading their NEWER lightly used stuff in favor of the SDS100, maybe* the new Whistler TRX-100/200's and Unication Pagers. Here's what Wiki says here on RRef about Pro96/2096 rebanding features

Can be updated to support Rebanding? YES via a custom table
See Section 7.2 of the Rebanding article for the software links

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.