PRO 97 Failed readback test

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmays

I need some help on what direction to take. I have an RS Pro 97 that has been a great scanner for years. I downloaded all the frequencies to Win97 made all my changes but could not upload them. Got the readback test failed error. All com port setting are correct, I have a new two-way cable. The only instruction I can find is to try on another computer. I am a Mac guy that happens to have an old XP laptop around that I was trying to program the scanner with. So before I spend I don't know how long reprogramming freq's by hand does anyone have any suggestions?

mjmays

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97

I need some help on what direction to take. I have an RS Pro 97 that has been a great scanner for years. I downloaded all the frequencies to Win97 made all my changes but could not upload them. Got the readback test failed error. All com port setting are correct, I have a new two-way cable. The only instruction I can find is to try on another computer. I am a Mac guy that happens to have an old XP laptop around that I was trying to program the scanner with. So before I spend I don't know how long reprogramming freq's by hand does anyone have any suggestions?
This sounds like a "communication error" with the scanner, not a memory error. My theory if further supported by the fact you state you have a new two-way cable. Does the cable you are now using SPECIFICALLY support the PRO-97?

The earlier models of GRE scanners used the same wire to send and receive. The connection was actually a MONO plug. The newer models switched to a stereo plug and could send and receive simultaneously. This is why the earlier cables only work on the earlier scanners (one reason).

What software are you using, WIN500? Are you using any "pigtails" with the cable? Do you have the "enable loopback" box checked in the software? If so, uncheck it. Before you try to upload to the scanner, I suggest you get a successful download from the scanner.

mjmays

Pro97

I am using a RPC-RS-2000546-UF cable, supposedly for the Pro 97 and Win 97. Stereo plug with mono

Pigtail. It will not work with either the stereo or the mono. When I try to upload without the read back test

checked it appears to write and the led blinks wildly but nothing goes to the scanner. I did download the

scanner, but then did a factory reset to see if that would solve the problem. It will take programming

manually.

I did see a note somewhere in my looking around that some computers have a usb power problem that wont

let the software work. That does not seem reasonable to me though. I sent DonS a PM yesterday but he has

got back to me yet. Win97 is his software. Enable loopback is not an option in Win 97.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN97 & PRO-97

I strongly suggest the problem is your cable. The real cables have an FTDI chip in them that emulates a COM port. It gets its power from USB. I know nothing about the cable you mention. I do know others have had issues with "non-standard" cables.

When using the standard cable and you upload to the scanner, both LEDs on the cable flash since it is sending data on both tip and ring. But the ring connection goes nowhere when used with a PRO-97. Tx & Rx from/to the scanner are essentially connected together and connect to the tip connection of the cable.

All of the above enables one cable to work with all GRE models, but also makes 3rd party cables less likely to work.

mjmays

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I would rather spend another 25 bucks than program for days. I am looking at Valley Enterprises. I need to make sure I did not buy it from them in the first place.

Thank you for your time and energy. I will let you know how I do.

M.J. Mays

mjmays

FYI, Valley Enterprises IS who I bought it from. I need to triple check that I have the correct. I may have the one that is no longer supported.

Thanks again

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I've had a similar error when trying to download from scanner to computer using an unsupported cable. Specifically, this would occur with my PRO-163 when using a cable I purchased for my Icom R5. While the cable allowed me to upload to the scanner just fine, downloading from scanner to computer resulted in this error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.