Pro-97 Scan programmed IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drguitarum2005

Premium Subscriber
Howdy Yall,
Just finished programming a new Pro-97 (manually). I have the frequencies for three trunked systems in bank 2 and have multiple sets of IDs in subgroups 2-0 through 2-4. With my Pro-94, once I did something similar, when I pressed "SCAN" it would scan ONLY the programmed IDs I put in. How can I do the same on the 97? As it is now, I press scan and it continues scanning through all the trunk frequencies I put in, getting stuck on the control frequencies. How can I just monitor through ID subgroups 2-0 through 2-4 only? Thanks!

kcoleman

drguitarum2005,

If the systems are EDACS or LTR, then you'd need to have each system in a separate bank to accommodate the LCN numbering of the frequencies.

That aside, once you have your system set up you'll need to place the bank in "CLOSED" mode. You will see a + or - symbol under each bank number that is scanning. + symbol is "OPEN" mode. This would allow you to hear any talk group in that system regardless if it was programmed in or not. In "CLOSED" mode (the minus symbol), you would hear only the TGRPs you had programmed. The following is from pg. 79 of the PRO-97 manual.

changing the open/closed mode​
1. Press​
MAN.
2. Press
FUNC then e or d to select the channel storage bank.
3. Press
FUNC then ./DELAY. Bank OPEN. or Bank CLOSED.
appears. After that message disappears, the fifteenth
digit on the second line of the display changes from
+ to

or vice versa.

Good Luck & Good Listening,
Keith

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Howdy Yall,
Just finished programming a new Pro-97 (manually). I have the frequencies for three trunked systems in bank 2
Each trunking system should be in separate banks.
I press scan and it continues scanning through all the trunk frequencies I put in, getting stuck on the control frequencies.
Apparently you have either the frequencies or bank in FM mode. The Mode should match trunk type. A Programming Shortcut is in link below my signature.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97

Howdy Yall,
I see this is your first post on RadioReference.com, welcome! You've found the right place.

Just finished programming a new Pro-97 (manually). I have the frequencies for three trunked systems in bank 2 and have multiple sets of IDs in subgroups 2-0 through 2-4.
New? That scanner is an older model now. I still have and use mine and love them.

Can you tell us which trunked systems you are programming? Do you know if they are Motorola, EDACS or LTR? While you can put more than one Motorola system in the same bank, some tricks are required to make it work. Even so, I do not recommend it unless you are only monitoring one of them at a time.

With my Pro-94, once I did something similar, when I pressed "SCAN" it would scan ONLY the programmed IDs I put in. How can I do the same on the 97?
You must CLOSE the bank. FUNC . toggles the bank from open to closed.

As it is now, I press scan and it continues scanning through all the trunk frequencies I put in, getting stuck on the control frequencies.
LOL, that is what it is supposed to do. Now if you mean it is stopping there and you are hearing the "data", then that means you did not set the MODE correctly. It needs to be set to the type of trunked system you are programming (MO, ED, LTR); as does the bank.

How can I just monitor through ID subgroups 2-0 through 2-4 only? Thanks!
Each sub group can be turned on and off. While in the TG viewer/editor, you can press the T button to advance to the next sub group. Press FUNC 1 to toggle a sub-group on and off.

drguitarum2005

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the info guys! I guess I should have given yall some more information. I did a lot of searching and reading after I made that post and figured some things out. Since it was my first post it was being moderated and I couldn't edit it or update it.

The systems are all Motorola Type II systems that I programmed. I set them up as Motorola systems but I found out I had to manually go to each channel and change it from "FM" to "MO" to get the tags to show up. Can I set a mode for the whole bank or do I always have to do it individually like that?

After changing the modes I think it's working a lot better however occasionally it gets stuck on the control channels with the white noise (in MO mode). Is that possibly a bad control channel?

Thanks for all the help guys!

drguitarum2005

Premium Subscriber
And I forgot to mention, the 97 is "new" out of the box, but obviously was bought a while ago. It belongs to a friend of mine and I'm playing with it. My normal scanner is my 94 but that may change soon...I'm getting spoiled to these alpha tags!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
And I forgot to mention, the 97 is "new" out of the box, but obviously was bought a while ago. It belongs to a friend of mine and I'm playing with it. My normal scanner is my 94 but that may change soon...I'm getting spoiled to these alpha tags!
Yup, they'll do that. I'd suggest the PSR-300. It is an updated version of the PRO-97. They changed the display slightly and it has an S meter too.

terryyvr

Radio Shack Pro 97 Programming Help

I've got a Radio Shack Pro 97 Scanner which has Tripple Trunking. Our Emergency Services (Ecomm) here in Vancouver has gone over to "ESK" in EDACS. Could someone please help me out in how to Program it? Also is this Scanner Compatibale for this New System?

Your reply would be most helpfull.

Thx you.

Status
Not open for further replies.