Pro2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8DDQ

Hey everyone. I have a chance to possibly get a 2096 for $50. Is this a good transceiver to use? I know it wont be as capable as my hp436. Opinions appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. I have a chance to possibly get a 2096 for $50. Is this a good transceiver to use? I know it wont be as capable as my hp436. Opinions appreciated.

That scanner is pretty long in the tooth (old). As such, and as it's original seller (Radio Shack) as well as manufacturer (GRE) are both gone, support is non-existent in terms of parts and/or repair. If you still decide to proceed, make sure that you it is in working order and complete.

I also see that two of the MARCS-IP sites in your county have a mix of 700 as well as 800Mhs frequencies. While, via software, you can "unlock" the scanner to receive 700MHz, it will not trunk track those channels. The 700MHz band was not set ip for public safety usage as of the date that scanner was released. A number of other MARCS sites in your state also use 700MHz.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Yes the radio is a receiver only. It is the mobile/base of the PRO 96. Both the 96 and the 2096 are great radios I own 4 96s and one 2096. The only short come they have is they do not decode Phase 2.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So probably not worth $50.

Not worth the price if you want to receive your local agencies reliably. You might hear some transmissions if the control channel directs a talkgroup to one of the 800MHz frequencies, but you'd miss parts of any conversation that was only, or even partly, on the 700MHz band.

Status
Not open for further replies.