Pro96Com Decode information Receive Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

boernegang

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
250
Reaction score
33
Location
Boerne,Tx
Got a question about the Decode receive rate bars. I am using a Uniden 396xt with PRO96Com on the Boerne Site of the LCRA system. When the radio receives a transmission, the receive rate drops to 0%. When the transmission is over, the rate jumps backup to the mid 65-70 % I normally get. Also, the channel grant trace seems to be lagging quite a bit in regard to displaying the last transmission I heard. The version of Pro96com is 1.11.7 build 212. Does anyone else see this when using Pro96com??
 

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
17,245
Reaction score
16,977
Location
BEE00
If you're allowing the scanner to actively scan the trunked system, it's leaving the control channel for a traffic channel every time there's a transmission. That would certainly cause decode health to drop to zero, as it's no longer decoding a valid control channel signal. In order to avoid that, you need to have the scanner parked on the control channel. I believe the easiest way to do this with a Uniden scanner is to hold on a non-existent talkgroup, such as 99999 or whatever.
 

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
5,131
Reaction score
1,477
Location
W St Louis Cnty, MO
In addition to what GTR8000 said, there are also plenty of code words or instructions that Pro96com does not understand. When it encounters those, the Decode rate counter will drop lower than normal. You will usually never see a perfect 100%. The best I've ever seen on non-simulcast sites that are less than a mile away are in the 90 to 96% range.
Also, try monitoring an Harris P25 system with Pro96com, the error rate counter will be way wrong as Harris systems use different commands that Pro96com cannot understand.
The counter in Pro96com is not very accurate for determining your reception quality but it can be handy at times for spotting simulcast issues once you are used to what it usually indicates.

I also have a P25 Phase I system here that crashes Pro96com very often. It really does not crash the program but I must tune the radio off of the control channel and back to it again in order to get it decoding again. I've not figured that one out but I think it's some control code that Pro96com may not understand that causes it to stop decoding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top